Search the forum,

Discuss Saying hello and looking for guidance with my diy bathroom project. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

slicker55

Hi 3_fall,

Thank you for taking an interest in my set out and also for your comments - appreciated

The mixer is centred to the bath but the tile set out on the feature wall (opposite) dictates the mixer cannot be centred to a tiles/tiles without changing the tile set out on the mixer wall which I don't think will look right.

I chose to install the mixer on that specific wall as there is a small walk-in wardrobe on the other side of the wall, through which I have made provision to gain access to the underside of the bath for future maintenance.

Comments noted about mosaics - I think the mosaic panel behind the mixer would serve a useful purpose but wouldn't be my preference if there was another way to resolve the misalignment issue.

Alternatively, maybe this is just one of those situations where the best compromise has already been reached and it's just a case accepting you've done your best?

I thought you might comment about the height of the first row of tiles above the floor - this seems to be the only way I can avoid a horizontal grout line above the sink. I see this as a viable compromise but I don't know whether this would be acceptable to a professional fixer.

I have also prepared a scaled drawing showing the 'plan view' of the room for reference purposes.

setting out 2 (room plan view).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

You plan view helped thank you.
I’m always interested in others view point, especially clients.
We look thro different eyes and can sometimes be blinded by the obvious, or we can just be stuck in our ways and stubborn. :D
As far as bottom row goes, I don’t think it’s iffensive at all.
I don’t tend to walk around with my eyeline at the floor. :)
It’s kinda skirting height anyway, so perfectly acceptable in your circumstances I feel.
In certain instances, you are correct, it wouldn’t be.
I might consider a larger mirror if it were me, to deal with unwanted grout joint, possibly.

But in honesty, these days, I would be going for extra large format tiles, probably 2.4 x 1.2, that way there would be no horizontal joints anyway.
The industry is changing daily at the moment and difficult to keep up with all that’s out there.
Please do come back and show us your progress, and thank you for taking time out to present this.
Appreciate it. :)

And good luck.

S

slicker55

Hello again,

Just taking a moment to acknowledge your detailed response which I find very encouraging.

My mind is pretty much decided on the set out shown in the images and, thanks to your support, I feel more at ease regarding the height of the tiles at ground level.

I will prepare a scaled image of to illustrate what the mixer will look like in relation to the surrounding tiles if I 'mirror' the 'set out' used on the opposite wall so we can discuss the merits of the mosaic panel a little more...

Just another thought... the ceramic tiles I have purchased are 40cm x 25cm and I have already purchased the mosaics.

I plan to fix the tiles portrait (I have also tried landscape which provides no advantage) but I am just wondering if a professional fixer would utilise a different tiling pattern altogether to get around situations like this?

S

slicker55

Undecided which way to go...

Option 1

Mixer central to the bath but not central to the tiles

mixer - alignment - tiles.jpg

Option 2
Mixer central to the bath and central to the mosaic panel but the tile to the right of the mosaic panel is narrower (87 mm) than the respective tile on the opposite wall (153 mm)

mixer - alignment - mosaic panel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Slicker - welcome. I read your project with interest. How did you create the drawings?

While I personally may not have gone with your solution and 3_fall has given me a question I think. The size of tile you have on your first row and also above the door - what happens if you make the first row shrink to zero so you have a full tile above the door, alters the joint near the top of the window.

I look forward to hearing more.

[not a Trade Tiler, more a DIY *1.5 (doesnt always go to plan) ]

S

slicker55

Hiya Julian,
Thank you for taking an interest in my project.
The drawings have been prepared using a program called 'Graphic' on my MacBook Pro.
Just to clarify, I haven't decided which way to go yet in relation to tackling the mixer issue (misaligment) - just interested to hear what others think would work best - what do you reckon?
Oh, you asked what happens if I was to start the first row with a full tile - good question - I did try that and it results in a 'sliver' immediately above the bath. It's all quite tight (so to speak)... cutting the first tile down just a bit to get rid of the 'sliver' above the bath introduces a 'sliver' under the shelf above the sink - aaaghhh. I really don't want a horizontal grout line between the top f the sink and the shelf above the sink so there's little scope for me to manoeuvre...

Reply to Saying hello and looking for guidance with my diy bathroom project. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen