Search the forum,

Discuss sand cement internal render in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

booner

just hacked off tiles from solid shower wall, set coat has come off with tile( house is only 8 years old), render in behind i thought would be like iron(like external)!! not so, side of paint scraper can rake it back to blockwork with no effort??? is this typical of a shower wall or have plasterers used a very weak mix. will nhbc be interested in this or am i dreamin. any ideas for a remedy b4 retiling:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
hmmmm, suddenly the original tiles dont seem such an eyesore after all!!!

B

booner

dont think so, its all sand n cement here in NI and finish has come away wiv the hacked off tiles

W

White Room

Some plasterers have been known to use soft sand (I've seen it) and it dos'nt have the strenght for rendering,internal or external. It could also be a very weak mix, a couple of options for you are, thin down some sbr about 4-1 and soak the sand and I mean soak which will get sucked in and bond the render when dry or rip the whole lot off and dot and dab with plasterboard. You could get hold of the nhbc but the process may be dragged out.

Reaction score
Some plasterers have been known to use soft sand (I've seen it) and it dos'nt have the strenght for rendering,internal or external. It could also be a very weak mix, a couple of options for you are, thin down some sbr about 4-1 and soak the sand and I mean soak which will get sucked in and bond the render when dry or rip the whole lot off and dot and dab with plasterboard. You could get hold of the nhbc but the process may be dragged out.
you dont want to use plasterboard in shower/area tile backerboard at least then tank as for wet room :thumbsup::thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

what did you use before backerboard came along gooner?, I've been tiling for nearly 30 years and not had a problem doing it p/board and tanking. But as you say, it's up to me:thumbsup:

Reaction score
what did you use before backerboard came along gooner?, I've been tiling for nearly 30 years and not had a problem doing it p/board and tanking. But as you say, it's up to me:thumbsup:
well ive ripped out lots of showers and am forever finding that they have broken down and if pboard is used the gyipsum in it has soaked up the water and gone bad so now i never use it :thumbsup:

Reply to sand cement internal render in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen