Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have fond memories of knocking up yards of sand and cement by hand/ shovel when I started working with my Father who was an old school tiler...Showed me how to screed and lay using a slurry.. Those were the days .... Glad they are flipping gone though!!
Blimmin hard work..

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have fond memories of knocking up yards of sand and cement by hand/ shovel when I started working with my Father who was an old school tiler...Showed me how to screed and lay using a slurry.. Those were the days .... Glad they are flipping gone though!!
Blimmin hard work..
A couple of builders I know were screeding a floor and had a lad from the pub labouring on them. They were just finishing off when they realised they were going to be short of gear, having already cleaned the mixer they told the labourer to go and do a mix by hand.
After a while they went outside to see what was taking so long only to find the labourer on his knees with his hands in the sand and cement like he was making pastery. When they asked him what he was doing he said " you told me to do a mix by hand". This IS a true story.

OP
T

Tile Shop

This thread is one of the most interesting and insightful I've read.

I know with various additives it can be used in a lot of situations. But can anyone think of any situation where this cannot be use or tiles it can't be used with?

How is it mixed (ratios)?
Does the floor need soaking?
Do the tiles need wetting?
Setting time?
Bed thickness (minimum and maximum)?

OP
I

Italy

This thread is one of the most interesting and insightful I've read.

I know with various additives it can be used in a lot of situations. But can anyone think of any situation where this cannot be use or tiles it can't be used with?

How is it mixed (ratios)?
Does the floor need soaking?
Do the tiles need wetting?
Setting time?
Bed thickness (minimum and maximum)?
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :hearnoevil::seenoevil::speaknoevil: ahahhaha

OP
I

Italy

A couple of builders I know were screeding a floor and had a lad from the pub labouring on them. They were just finishing off when they realised they were going to be short of gear, having already cleaned the mixer they told the labourer to go and do a mix by hand.
After a while they went outside to see what was taking so long only to find the labourer on his knees with his hands in the sand and cement like he was making pastery. When they asked him what he was doing he said " you told me to do a mix by hand". This IS a true story.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BukLvXtx7VM

is good for work

bansko

TF
Reaction score
here in france and im sure mainland europe sand cement screed is the norm .directly after posing the screed portland cement is thrown on tge floor and tiles laid straight after .first time I seen that been done I thaught I was in the middle ages but it is very common here almost all houses are done this way.it is very messy annoying to do .but the local tilers love it .not for me .but it does work.and has worked for centuries.
When I started as an apprentice it was all sand/cement and your right it's messy, semi dry screed with a cement slurry wasn't too bad but a wet sand/cement screed with a peppering of Portland cement was dirty work. Then again it depended which tiler you were working with, some were a lot cleaner than others. They were great days, never ever short of work and you couldn't have any Tom dick or Harry stepping on your toes and taking your work. These days it is rare the Germans used to insist on monolithic fixing on floors ie aldi/Lidl, bmw hard graft but when done right you can't beat it. Lasts forever.

Reply to Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock