Discuss Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

It's called old school tiling, I use this method a lot, learned it in US, it's called '' Jersey Job'' if I am not mistaken, there's lots of skills involved as well. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures the portland /cement, sharp sand but this job is done the ''Jersey Way". Use it especially for large stone installation. I am the old school from head to toe, LOL.
Jersey Way. Works a lot better than the adhesive does. Loving it!
Well perhaps you could impart your knowledge with the forum then @detroitMi and do a thread for us?
I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Sand and cement fixing = proper tilers,how many on here can do it ? Remember we can use adhesive but can you fix tiles with s&c
I can , learnt it right at the begining of my career as modern adhesives were starting to come in. A skill I'm glad I paid attention too , as I've used it a handful of times to some smaller jobs , quarry tiles mainly. Turned up on one job about 15 yrs ago to tile an outside porch , the concrete sub looked like it had been laid by Mr S.Wonder . There was S&C in the back of the blokes truck so did it with that ( 8" Quarries , lovely size and sorely missed ) , came up mint . Of course its other advantage is you create falls as you go and install gulleys.
For the OP , building paper used to be put down as a form of movement layer ( mainly for larger installs like communal shower areas etc ) , never did sand myself.

Still a top method of fixing imho , in the right situation.

Brief method. Semi wet screed , trowel up some moisture/fat , sieve on neat cement , trowel over , lay on tiles , sprinkle over dry S&C and gently brush into joints ( this not only grouts the tiles but also stops them wandering too much when beating ), sprinkle on a little water , beat down with beating blocks ( 4x2x15 for 6" quarries ) ,align , clean off , grout whats left to fill when set ( sometimes joints are full depending on size of joint , so final grout may not be needed )

Works for me , been a while tho'

Diggy :0)

S

Spud

you can do wall tiling with sand and cement too there are several different methods thin and thick bedding
here is the thick bed or hand fixing method as it is sometimes called

12022009544.jpg 12022009553.jpg 12022009551.jpg 12022009552.jpg

O

One Day

QUOTE="GaryTheTiler, post: 801673, member: 4720"]laundry room in an old peoples home , plasterers left the walls in scratch coat so I decided to fit the tiles the old fashioned way , hadnt done it for several years so wanted a bit of practice[/QUOTE] you do realise that you've made removing them at some possible future date, rather a headache for someone don't you?!

T

The D

Ste-G

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you can do wall tiling with sand and cement too there are several different methods thin and thick bedding
here is the thick bed or hand fixing method as it is sometimes called

View attachment 79660 View attachment 79661 View attachment 79662 View attachment 79663
This takes me back, soaking the tiles in a bin full of water over night, getting them out and stacking them to drain in the morning ready for fixing. Great job for the winter months, I can still feel the chilblains now :coldsweat:

I

Italy

That pic brings back memories of labouring on the old boys when i was a kid i hated getting the tiles from the bottom of the bouch, come to think of it i hated every thing about S&C work lol
oh my god that memories ....
hate even now

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
QUOTE="GaryTheTiler, post: 801673, member: 4720"]laundry room in an old peoples home , plasterers left the walls in scratch coat so I decided to fit the tiles the old fashioned way , hadnt done it for several years so wanted a bit of practice
you do realise that you've made removing them at some possible future date, rather a headache for someone don't you?![/QUOTE]
Like s..t to a blanket lol

Reply to Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks