Discuss Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Ray, it is easy to do I agree. Trouble is building regs don't always allow it as I have found out on the job I am doing later in the week.
40m2 floor to be built up 80mm ish , building control said no, had to find another solution.
10mm marmox boards on a block and beam floor will give the same insaltion challenge them to prove you wrong

R

we have not understood, thin porcelain flatness ok. I mean 600x1200 or 1000x1000 200x1200 etc. 9 / 10mm thickness. honestly I have not find any planar.
as regards china india etc., I believe that there is nothing to learn regarding the laying of tiles.
I repeat, it's just my thought, I may be wrong.
and I can also cambiared mind.
because only the foolish never change mind ;)
well the day i start to believe i cant learn more about fixing tiles from around the world oh my god i must be italian heres a few pics from china fixed in s/c and they fix a mosaic or two my god they must be rubbish

DSC04724.JPG DSC04725.JPG DSC04727.JPG DSC04732.JPG DSC04761.JPG DSC06344.JPG DSC06412.JPG DSC06416.JPG IMG_0167.JPG

R

I'd love to see how they do it....
well one day went to an office as i got out the lift there they are laying 1000x1000 on s/c there and then i walk down one path as i go in on new laid tiles on the way out anther coures to walk down all the time others are coming in and out of there offices and there they are laying away floor still there flat as a pan cake no cracks in sight 7 years later .they did not even look up just kept going now of all the things i have ever seen that i will never forget

W

White Room

well one day went to an office as i got out the lift there they are laying 1000x1000 on s/c there and then i walk down one path as i go in on new laid tiles on the way out anther coures to walk down all the time others are coming in and out of there offices and there they are laying away floor still there flat as a pan cake no cracks in sight 7 years later .they did not even look up just kept going now of all the things i have ever seen that i will never forget

At the end of the day Ray were told what's needed for modern fixing and take their advise as written in stone, when I worked in the Ascension Islands the "sand " (crushed eggs shells over the years) was taken from a beach where the turtles laid the eggs and only at certain times could the sand be removed for any building works, it worked for screeding and render.

I

Italy

well the day i start to believe i cant learn more about fixing tiles from around the world oh my god i must be italian heres a few pics from china fixed in s/c and they fix a mosaic or two my god they must be rubbish

View attachment 79505 View attachment 79506 View attachment 79507 View attachment 79508 View attachment 79509 View attachment 79510 View attachment 79511 View attachment 79512 View attachment 79513
do not worry, do not fret, because I believe that you did not understand the translation (google traslade ...).
I know that there are such things in China, the TV also comes in italy :)
(as I understand) you Ray say that these works (pictures) are made with s & c?
until the measures are s & C?
you believe (again as I understand) that these jobs done with s & c. I am better than with glue?
else, I was saying that the installation of tiles made by the Chinese. (there is nothing to learn). Chinese do not work ....
now conclude that the speech is better, unfortunately the language I can not understand all the words, and then it is useless to argue.
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

if you are pleased with our customers are happy with your work. all is ok.
probably my idea of perfection is different than yours,
now no longer I answer to this trend, otherwise I will raise your blood pressure. lol

R

if you are pleased with our customers are happy with your work. all is ok.
probably my idea of perfection is different than yours,
now no longer I answer to this trend, otherwise I will raise your blood pressure. lol
its time to get over the romans there long gone we have to look to the lay brothers that took tiling to the next level .blood pressure .in your dreams land of the fiat .but joint tiling .more bent tiles than you can shake a stick at .lol i do all day .how you get away with

O

One Day

Gary - why was Beko-tec drain matting specc'd there? And was it on top of Troba-plus?
Just curious!

S

stephenoneill

here in france and im sure mainland europe sand cement screed is the norm .directly after posing the screed portland cement is thrown on tge floor and tiles laid straight after .first time I seen that been done I thaught I was in the middle ages but it is very common here almost all houses are done this way.it is very messy annoying to do .but the local tilers love it .not for me .but it does work.and has worked for centuries.

J

jonnyc

I used to fix all the reclaimed stone and terracotta floors in a mix of plastering sand cement and flex adhesive . Still do some now . When fixing stone of quite varying thickness and when not having enough depth to do sand / cement only . I mix half a bag flex adhesive half bag white cement and 3 bags plaster sand .the flex adhesive in mix allows you to work stone into quite a wet bed and can get down from 20mm bed to 7mm easily . Apply skin of flex adhesive to screed and to back of tile and makes a good mortar sandwich . I have discussed this method with a few chemists at different adhesive manufacturers and none will guarantee mixing their adhesive in this way but they do say no reason it won't work .also used to use this method on bad screeds laying new limedtone but you have to be careful of bleeding organic matter etc coming up through stone

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's called old school tiling, I use this method a lot, learned it in US, it's called '' Jersey Job'' if I am not mistaken, there's lots of skills involved as well. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures the portland /cement, sharp sand but this job is done the ''Jersey Way". Use it especially for large stone installation. I am the old school from head to toe, LOL.

023.JPG
007.JPG
001.JPG
Jersey Way. Works a lot better than the adhesive does. Loving it!
011.JPG
005.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
011.JPG
009.JPG

Reply to Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks