Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Rubi TI-S? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ryan83

TF
Reaction score
Im currently looking to buy a dry cutter.

I really like the look of the Rubi TI-S 66 or the 75. I think it seems like a quality cutter and i've also read some positive feedback about it.

For the few jobs i've carried out i've been using a mates Rubi TS-60 and found it to work well. However, I feel the TI would have advantage over it with the movable breaker but never used a cutter with the single guide rail. Would this be a major problem?

Really i'm looking for any advice on what to buy before I go n spend 200 quid on the wrong thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers. Ryan.

D

DHTiling

personally ryan..i would go for the tx700n.........twin rail and movable breaker.....

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
^^^ no no no dave.. the tx series weigh a ton and have a hideously fiddly cut/breaking system, go for a single rail , ie sigma or montolit, read the thread on this page titled " which montolit and advice please" by boosha and all will be revealed !!! :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

^^^ no no no dave.. the tx series weigh a ton and have a hideously fiddly cut/breaking system, go for a single rail , ie sigma or montolit, read the thread on this page titled " which montolit and advice please" by boosha and all will be revealed !!! :thumbsup:

Each to there own....the Tx weight is of no issue to me...i manage just fine......the mono rail cuuters are ok if that is what you are used too.....but i have used rubis for many years and find nowt better than the TX..IMO......

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok dave forget the weight then but what about that the fiddly breaking system then. i have used both the 900 and 1200 on many occasions and while they cut ok they are a right royal pain to use ..IMO :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I have no probs and neither does my apprentice who has just started......like i said it depends on what you are used to using and how long you have been using these type of cutters etc......if you like twin rail cuuters then fine...if you like mono rail cutters then fine.. no probs as long as the said cutter works fine for you....
but ryan asked about the ti-66s/75 and i have the ti-66s and don't like it and it is a rubi so its not like i'm saying sigmas or montolit are crap just that i prefer twin rail cutters......

:thumbsup:

D

Droopy

I have no probs and neither does my apprentice who has just started......like i said it depends on what you are used to using and how long you have been using these type of cutters etc......if you like twin rail cuuters then fine...if you like mono rail cutters then fine.. no probs as long as the said cutter works fine for you....
but ryan asked about the ti-66s/75 and i have the ti-66s and don't like it and it is a rubi so its not like i'm saying sigmas or montolit are crap just that i prefer twin rail cutters......
Did you say, "Monorail" ?
simpsons%20monorail.gif

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail! ...
What'd I say?
Monorail!
What's it called?
Monorail!
That's right! Monorail!
I hear those things are awfully loud...
It glides as softly as a cloud.
Is there a chance the track could bend?
Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
What about us brain-dead slobs?
You'll all be given cushy jobs.
Were you sent here by the devil?
No, good sir, I'm on the level.
The ring came off my pudding can.
Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
Monorail!
What's it called?
Monorail!
Once again...
Monorail!
But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
Monorail!
Monorail!
Monorail!
Monorail!
Mono... D'oh!

PS, the TX is a great cutter:thumbsup:
And rhat s from a Sigma fan:grin:

S

sWe

How's the boy coming along? :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Just fine marcus...he has his moments .lol lol......hard work trying to train him to be honest after working on my own for so long......but to tell you the truth i would be lost without him now.....after all who is gunna make me cuppas........lol lol...

No honestly he will get there, just hard to let him loose on domestic work.....he is good with a grout float now...:grin:

S

sWe

Just fine marcus...he has his moments .lol lol......hard work trying to train him to be honest after working on my own for so long......but to tell you the truth i would be lost without him now.....after all who is gunna make me cuppas........lol lol...

No honestly he will get there, just hard to let him loose on domestic work.....he is good with a grout float now...:grin:

Ah, the ol grouting routine. Must be the first thing tiling apprentices learn :rofl: In my case, it was grouting, then some more grouting, waterproofing, some more grouting, and waterproofing. And leveling. And some more grouting. And the occasional crack at the tile cutter and nipps.

D

DHTiling

And he is very good on the dry cutter and the wet cutter and the rail cutter...can't use snips to save his life....:grin:.....quite good at mixing sticky and cleaning the tools etc......just not much cop at putting them away tidy.....he is fine on all the aspects of the tools ......i think....

ryan83

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys

Im gonna have a look into both the TX range and the montolits. Not got a clue what to get now. Im going down to NETT to do the course mid July so I might even wait n see whats being used there.

Thanks again, Ryan.

S

sWe

And he is very good on the dry cutter and the wet cutter and the rail cutter...can't use snips to save his life....:grin:.....quite good at mixing sticky and cleaning the tools etc......just not much cop at putting them away tidy.....he is fine on all the aspects of the tools ......i think....

Did you try to teach him the "breaking from the wrist" technique, as opposed to the "breaking with force of the grip" technique? A good excersise for him would be if you gave him a bunch of tiles, and then marking different patterns on them, for him to snip away at. After 30-60 minutes, he'll be a pro at snips, I promise :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Is this your Son Dave? If it is, make him up a nipping board so he has some shapes to cut out and get him to practice as "homework"! Cheap tiles from Wickes will do for starters. lol.

Reply to Rubi TI-S? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks