Search the forum,

Discuss Replace hardboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

surflaur

Hi guys just a quicky, i am tiling a floor tomorrow which currently has lino, then hardboard, then flooboards. Problem is this was installed before the kitchen was. Can i remove the lino as far back as i can and fix ply down and carry on as normal or do i have to remove the hardboard? Thanks in advance

G

Gazzer

If the hardboard is easy to remove i would but if its glued down it could be left as long as you screw the ply wood down tight. What thickness ply wil you be using?

C

CLAYS TILES

dont use ply as this will draw out moisture from addy, use HARDI BACKER BOARDS topps sell them & you can tile directly onto these!they come in 2 sizes,6 mm & 10mm. £11 each if you have an account!

G

Gazzer

dont use ply as this will draw out moisture from addy, use HARDI BACKER BOARDS topps sell them & you can tile directly onto these!they come in 2 sizes,6 mm & 10mm. £11 each if you have an account!

I think you will find its 6mm or 12mm unless they have changed recently.

G

grumpygrouter

I think you will find its 6mm or 12mm unless they have changed recently.
You are correct Sir Ramic. He could also prime the ply if he wished, this would slow down the suck!

Also 12mm hardie is designed for walls not floors as 6mm is a more dense composition than Hardie 500 (12mm).

Grumpy

P

Perry

you cant use backer board on top of hardboard can you ? the only type i have seen you have to fix the board with adhesive:pete

D

DHTiling

Hardboard is just a paper like product and if you ply over it and any damp gets in then it will swell and break down....my advise is to perservere and remove it first..just cut it where it meets the units legs etc etc.....then ply and screw down...:thumbsup:

S

surflaur

Thanks for the advice guys, i think i will ask the customer to remove the lino and hardboard then put down either backer board or ply 6mm depending on the condition of the sub floor.:hurray:

Reply to Replace hardboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen