Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss render over tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cgalloway

The exterior of my house is covered with smooth ceramic tiles, approx 2"x6" each. I'd like to render over these to provide a textured finish but I'm not sure how to do it. The local practice seems to be to plaster over the tiles before painting on a textured finish, but this seems a bit labour intensive, not to mention expensive. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether its possible to apply a textured render directly over the tile (perhaps after a primer), something like Dulux Full Cover texture (though this is apparently for brick), or even better a spray on solution (Acratex?). Any ideas?

W

White Room

Hi and welcome....I'd ripping them off to be honest, you don't know how they were fitted or how they will take the weight of the render.

C

cgalloway

The tiles seem pretty well stuck on, I removed some of them already when I installed new windows. The issue I think is going to be with adhesion. I wonder if I could rough up the tiled surface with an abrasive wheel on a grinder, something like that? I'd prefer a DIY approach as the standard of competence/honesty around here is not terribly high and I'm not sure I have the time for a long haul approach.

C

Ceramico tiling

you could also score them all over the place with your hand held grinder(with a diamond blade)

G

Gazzer

I am not a plasterer or renderer but I know that Mapei Eco Prim Grip can be used if you were retiling over the existing.......assuming the existing tiles are suitably fixed .

Reply to render over tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks