Search the forum,

Discuss Removing Excess Water-based Sealer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jamrock

Hello

I sealed some tumbled travertine floor tiles last night using LTP mart stone h20 water-based sealer. I thought I had cleaned up the excess but I obviously hadn't done this properly as there are now some smeary patches on the floor.

I spoke to LTP on the phone and they suggested cleaning this with some warm water and Fairy liquid. I was concerned about using washing up liquid as I thought that this would etch natural stone tiles. However, the lady at LTP said that a one-off use just to get rid of excess sealer wouldn't do any damage, I just shouldn't do it regularly.

Do any of you have experience of using washing up liquid on Travertine? Is this likely to cause damage? Is this likely to remove the excess sealer?

J

J Sid

Try on a couple of tiles in a corner or out the way.
If you use washing up liquid make sure you wash it of well with plenty of water. I would use a wet vac, pick up a cheap one if you don't have one, to lift of dirty water rather the sponges or a mop.
Allow to dry completely, a couple of days, before resealing.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Generally water based impregnators will not re activate, the solvent based products will, the solvent melts ,aided cleaning with a white pad ( re activates the dry components) and they can easily be buffed away, water based "polymer "will harden and generally will need to be cut back with an alkali solution and white pad. Test your washing up liquid if recommended by the supplier, as above , one tile in a discreet area as above. Salts in washing up liquid can effect impregnators and stone long term ( you tend to get a white haze) but not for a one off clean, but test!!!
You might even try a dry white pad. Just buff

If this does not work you may need to use a slightly deeper clean ( mild alkaline product) speak to ltp for there suitable product .ours would be power clean, a water based alkaline.

Once your excess is sorted, speak back to ltp and they will recomend a general daily cleaner , which will look after there impregnator and your stone.

Reply to Removing Excess Water-based Sealer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen