Discuss Removal grout residue face of porcelain tile in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

Of all the apprentices I’ve had I don’t believe I’ve ever left them unsupervised to complete a job beyond their capabilities. I know where I’d portion the blame!

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Of all the apprentices I’ve had I don’t believe I’ve ever left them unsupervised to complete a job beyond their capabilities. I know where I’d portion the blame!
Tbf as I mentioned, we did a good 5/6 plots together where he was left to do it alone but i was in the same plot checking as he did. I felt I could trust him as he was definitely capable. The kid just started to slack when left fully alone. I'm assuming because he didn't realise the consequences of a half arsed job. And at the speed we were going thru those plots we've got way further ahead before any snagging. But I accept ultimate responsibility, which is why i won't be getting paid this week. But aye cheers for the input.

Reaction score
Look the apprentice made a mistake but he young & human & if you had given him a chance he would have learned from it & if anybody on this forum says they've haven't made mistake congratulations,

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Agree with all the posts above, but beware that after cleaning there may be polymer residues left on the tiles as the grout cleaners will not always remove the polymers. Polymer residues can be hard to see, but will attract dirt and make the floor hard to clean. If this is the case alkaline cleaners can help remove the polymers.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A bit of a nightmare to say the least.

In the not too distant past I searched and searched for 8" round white and black emulsifying pads like.......
8-inch-standard-speed-superpad-floor-pads-x-5-a98.jpg

I found them at www.janitorialdirect.co.uk. Just do a search for 'floor pads' and you will find them. They come in loads of sizes. I used them on a cheap multi speed hand held polisher to clean a floor. It only took a couple of hours to clean 30sqm.

I was at a trade show at Topps Tiles recently. There was a demo from Fila and their new product 'First Wash'. It is used to wash off excess grout from the surface of the tile. Maybe give that a go.

Good luck.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
A bit of a nightmare to say the least.

In the not too distant past I searched and searched for 8" round white and black emulsifying pads like.......
8-inch-standard-speed-superpad-floor-pads-x-5-a98.jpg

I found them at www.janitorialdirect.co.uk. Just do a search for 'floor pads' and you will find them. They come in loads of sizes. I used them on a cheap multi speed hand held polisher to clean a floor. It only took a couple of hours to clean 30sqm.

I was at a trade show at Topps Tiles recently. There was a demo from Fila and their new product 'First Wash'. It is used to wash off excess grout from the surface of the tile. Maybe give that a go.

Good luck.

Sean you're a diamond mate exactly what I was looking for. Its taken me all day to grind out about 30m of grout and then acid wash and scrub back. Again mate you're a star.

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Agree with all the posts above, but beware that after cleaning there may be polymer residues left on the tiles as the grout cleaners will not always remove the polymers. Polymer residues can be hard to see, but will attract dirt and make the floor hard to clean. If this is the case alkaline cleaners can help remove the polymers.

Defo something to bear in mind, I'll have a look at what i did today in the morning. But it looked like it came up pretty good. Here's hoping!

Makone

TF
Reaction score
Look the apprentice made a mistake but he young & human & if you had given him a chance he would have learned from it & if anybody on this forum says they've haven't made mistake congratulations,

Mate. I appreciate where you are coming from but he's been with me for over six months. He should of got this by now. He's had chances before to rectify his mistakes. Which he did and was fully paid for. When I said 5/6 plots I just meant at this site. I maybe should of made that clear. Even then those plots he did with me there add up to about 1000m of tiling by themselves. Thats a lot of ground to cover. To then go on to **** up that badly over a further 4 plots is unforgivable in my opinion. 2 to 3 rinses of a washboy over 40/50m floors just don't cut it, its cutting corners and he knew the consequences because we'd been thru it on previous plots. He's also a trained groundworker/landscaper and 33 yrs old so he's not green. Geezer knows the coo and he fucked up anyways. What can I say. I'm good with my decision.

Reaction score
Oh when you said apprentice I thought you was talking 18/19 not bloody 33 and if he's done ground work he should be more then aware of what cement based products dry like if not cleaned down correctly,you could try a floor cleaning machine with one of those 8 inch pads that was posted earlier it might save your back & knees

Reply to Removal grout residue face of porcelain tile in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks