Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Question On Black Floor Adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Carts69

Hi, I have just removed cork tiles from my concrete kitchen floor, I'm now left with a black tar like adhesive, even though this is applied thinly, it's a total nightmare to remove, I aim to tile this area with ceramic tiles, now I've heard that a slurry application is the way forward, my question is...can I slurry straight over this black adhesive or do I need to scrape away & get most of it off?

C

Carts69

Another question guys... What trowel & what thickness of adhesive for 450 X 450 tiles please?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Another question guys... What trowel & what thickness of adhesive for 450 X 450 tiles please?

Whats the floor like for flatness?

Back butter the tiles and a 10mm square notch would probably be my choice. It usually is, lol

C

Carts69

The floor is pretty flat, although one end of the kitchen has a crack running across the floor, around 500 long, the other side of the crack is around 300 wide, this area has lifted a little, I have a rock on the spirit level.
The area is still solid, I'm just wondering if this could be my starting point, making up differences in slight levels with the adhesive?

C

Carts69

The crack stretches 800 long X 300

image.jpg

C

Carts69

The crack is going through the centre of the pic, not so concerned about that, it the higher area beyond the crack, there is a slight lip from the crack backwards, as if the floor beyond the crack a slightly risen

C

Carts69

Here is a better pic showing the difference in height, level on bubble but clear gap under the level, is this worth worrying about?

image.jpg

C

Carts69

Would also like to tile straight through to this other room, problem is the floor in the next room is 5mm higher as per picture, what would be my options here, can I build the adhesive up to make up the difference in heights, ie..start tiling from this point or put in a transition strip?

image.jpg

Reply to Question On Black Floor Adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks