Currently reading:
Quartz tiles on kitchen worktops??

Discuss Quartz tiles on kitchen worktops?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

​​I'm planning on tiling kitchen worktops in a new extension. I am completely removing an existing tiled worktop that I have had for the past 15 years - done in small (9 x 9cm) thick white tiles, these were supplied on nets and had a visible grout line of about 7mm when filled with white epoxy grout. This was impossible to keep white, particularly where the tea pot lived! The tiles had a domed top and so water collected in the joints. They were recommended by the shop as being suitable.

For the new worktops I was planning on using 60 x 60 cm quartz sparkley cream tiles on an 18mm WBP plywood base screwed to 18mm chipboard (the combination worked well for the previous worktop). Advice from the tile shop suggested I did not need to use epoxy as the tiles would not scratch if using ordinary grout. Initially I was put off using these tiles as they were £100 a sq m - but there are lots of cheaper suppliers online.

I want to use big tiles to avoid lots of grout that can stain. There will be no window cills - the windows are at a height where I can carry the worktop back to the window frame. As the worktops will be a strange shape there is no possibility of using anything other than tiles (unless a lottery win helps!).

What's the best thing to do for edging? In total there will be about 8 sq m.

Any comments / advice appreciated.

D

DHTiling

Personally i would use a cement board, less expansion issues and no probs with moisture.. and much better bond than to ply..

Hardibacker 500 ( 12mm) would be my choice of board to work surface and edges over the main base.

I'm not a lover of quartz tiles as there is that much rubbish about, but i understand that to get certain colours then this is the chosen product..

You can actually get true granite tiles for a better price than quartz..

D

DHTiling

How do you attach the cement board to the main base? How do you identify the rubbish quartz tiles?

Usually by price.. Cheap Chinese imported rubbish is poor grade resins... Gulf stone is a better one..

You fix the cement board with suitable corrosion resistant screws and the boards are bedded on the sub-base with adhesive before fixing in situ with above screws..

You will find that Quartz tiles/tops do not need sealing, main reason for their use over Granite etc.. but IMO they can hold stains on some of the lighter colours..

Reply to Quartz tiles on kitchen worktops?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.