Search the forum,

Discuss Primer G question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minnie

It's me again. Quick question about priming.

Before I started tiling a wall, I decided to have a little practice run on tiling the window sill - just to get a feel for the trowel etc. (I don't get on with a trowel incidentally - an 11 incher, and wonder if I'd be better off with a smaller adhesive spreader).

Anyway, I decided to remove the tiles yesterday and some of the adhesive was stuck to the window sill and some came off as easy as slicing through butter.

Now, obviously I didn't prime the window sill or anything as I was just practising, but how come some adhesive had set and some hadn't?

It looks like a cement based adhesive that's on there.

Primer G instructions tell you to "dilute 1:1-1:3 depending on the absorbtion substrate". How do I know how much to dilute?

Here's a picture of what's there.

9704196-d0a

I was going to put a skim of adhesive on there to try to level the window sill out before tiling

D

diamondtiling

Try and stick with the trowel if you can Minnie, it far better than a plastic spreader, what is the adhesive, bagged powder or ready mixed tubbed stuff? as for your primer mix it 1 part water and 1 part primer, you will see how quickly it is absorbed into your walls, give it a couple of coats. If you are going to level your sill you would be better off getting a small piece of plasterboard, stick it with your adhesive. If you are going to use a tubbed adhesive ( not my choice ) then you have to let the tiles dry properly before grouting

:thumbsup:

M

Minnie

Try and stick with the trowel if you can Minnie, it far better than a plastic spreader, what is the adhesive, bagged powder or ready mixed tubbed stuff? as for your primer mix it 1 part water and 1 part primer, you will see how quickly it is absorbed into your walls, give it a couple of coats. If you are going to level your sill you would be better off getting a small piece of plasterboard, stick it with your adhesive. If you are going to use a tubbed adhesive ( not my choice ) then you have to let the tiles dry properly before grouting

Yes, I have tubbed adhesive because I'm an amateur and figured I'd make less of a mess. :smilewinkgrin:

Do you know why one part of the window sill dried and the other didn't?

Not sure about plasterboard. Don't have time to go and source it, and it would interfere with my measurements for the wall tiles ie. I won't know how much of a gap to leave for the border if I don't know the width of plasterboard (unless you tell me what measurements they come in :thumbsup:).

I'm taking wall tiles off now and starting at a different point thereby giving me a 15cm tile at the top instead of a few centimetre slither!

I figured it I worked from top of shelf above sink, that's 40cm to window sill, but I need to take into account adhesive and tile on window sill before I cut the 15cm one. The sensible thing of course is to leave the top tile and the border off until I've figured out what I'm going to do with window sill. I think that's what I'll do - assuming I can stay sensible for long enough. :smilewinkgrin:

C

Colour Republic

If you are going to level your sill you would be better off getting a small piece of plasterboard, stick it with your adhesive. :thumbsup:

I hear what your ssying Diamond but I don't believe she has room, if you look at the picture once plasterboard (even 9mm) plus addy and tile she is going to be tiling over the window hinge which by the look of it is a tilt and turn window

D

diamondtiling

I did not notice the picture, cheers CR, are you leaving the sill till last Minnie? that would be preferable, you can tile up to it and get your tiles all nice and level, as for your adhesive drying or not it could be the surface, the temperature in the room, tubbed adhesive takes longer than bagged.

M

Minnie

I hear what your ssying Diamond but I don't believe she has room, if you look at the picture once plasterboard (even 9mm) plus addy and tile she is going to be tiling over the window hinge which by the look of it is a tilt and turn window

That's correct, it's one of those windows that opens inwards from the top or the side, depending which way you turn the handle.

M

Minnie

I did not notice the picture, cheers CR, are you leaving the sill till last Minnie? that would be preferable, you can tile up to it and get your tiles all nice and level, as for your adhesive drying or not it could be the surface, the temperature in the room, tubbed adhesive takes longer than bagged.

I think I'm going to have to leave it 'til last, but the problem is, I'm not sure where my borders should go. Do they cover the edge of the window tile?

Also, because I'm not sure how much I need to level it out, I don't know what size tile to cut under the border. It needs to be around 15cm, but I can't be sure until I know where the border tiles go exactly, and until I've done the window, I'm not going to know the correct measurement, so I'm a bit confused.

Oh, whilst you're here!

I've just removed all the wall tiles as I'm starting from the level of the shelf above the sink now instead of level with the sink.

Now I've removed the tiles and adhesive, do I have to do anything with the wall (eg. sanding/wiping down with a wet cloth) or am I good to start tiling again?

Sorry for so many questions. I know brickies, chippies, sparks, window fixers etc. but don't know any tilers.

M

Minnie

PS: Why did the adhesive dry on one part of the window and not the other? The 3 tiles were all laid at the same time and days ago (ie. Tuesday or Wednesday)

D

diamondtiling

A border looks good going into the window reveals, it does come down to personal choice really. If your walls are in good condition and are not painted then you can apply your primer, work out where you want to start from and away you go. If you can try and start with the longest lowest line and work up, you might consider a batten to hold them up whilst they dry. Keep asking the questions, the more you ask the more we will help you.
Does the window sill collect condensation? this would delay drying times.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Minnie

A border looks good going into the window reveals, it does come down to personal choice really. If your walls are in good condition and are not painted then you can apply your primer, work out where you want to start from and away you go. If you can try and start with the longest lowest line and work up, you might consider a batten to hold them up whilst they dry.
Does the window sill collect condensation? this would delay drying times.

I thought about that, but wouldn't that mean I'd have one big wall with no feature?

9424986-53c

These tiles are all off now as the corner tiles were cut badly and I realised some of the tiles were different size thereby screwing up the grout line, plus I'm starting shelf height now

9703809-b61

The mosaics in the picture below are what I'm going for (3 tiles width, ie. 5cms). I know green is probably a strange colour to put with cream but I like them.

9703790-921

As for battens, don't have any. As you can see, old books and videos have become my batten!

Keep asking the questions, the more you ask the more we will help you.

You may regret saying that. :lol:

As for the window collecting condensation, it's not something I really notice. I'm 5ft so don't really notice it. Probably though as the ceiling does get wet but I will in future make it a rule to turn on the fan and stop b/f leaving towel on radiator which stops room from drying out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Primer G question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen