Search the forum,

Discuss Polypipe (Fixed Overlay) UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Evening guys and girls,

Neen out in the van this evening, away with my thoughts and was pondering over a job I have coming up in 4-6 weeks time.

It's a bungalow that will have the UFH mentioned in the title over-layed on all floors. To be tiled in 600x400 honed and filled travertine.

Here's a link to the UFH system:

Overlay Underfloor Heating

What prep, if any would you do prior to fixing?

I

Ian

Just read the bit that says ceramic/porcelain can go direct to it, I'd say that's not the case with stone. If it were me I'd give the pipes a 5mm layer of fibre slc then fit ditra, I would imagine the ditra could probably go straight into the pipes but I'd be slightly wary of voids in the pipe channels, hence the slc first. That's my take on it anyway :D

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
@Bri The pipes fit snuggly into the channels, there's never any voids.
I've tiled over it a few times. A builder I tile for always use it. I've never fixed stone over it though and find it interesting that wood can also be fixed direct to it, and as you say ceramics. But there us no mention of stone.

O

Old Mod

Tracy's, Polypipe won't advocate the use of a liquid substance over their pipe. They maintain it'll dislodge their pipes. So u have to board first before using latex, then u can Ditra mat it.
Jonnyc wrote a thread about it too!
He thought they were jokers, and said it.
However, that's their spec.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Yes. See this is the thing. I see no advantage to using ditra straight over it. Certainly actually that there would be none.
There's no real necessity to SLC it. Infact putting SLC or rather boarding and SLC forces the use of ditra.

I always insist on a decoupler over any UFH, definitely when it's stone.
But im struggling to find a reason to do any of the stuff I've done as a rule in the past over this board.

It's also the builders opinion none is necessary and I'd hate to have to agree with him!!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well working on this now 5 mm fibra self leveler heres some picks with the blakne mat testing how much flex it gives the make up of the matting will allow the heat to pass through very easy make sure the system is at least 5bar pressure with cold water before you self level

Attachments

• DSC08760.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
  • DSC08750.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
  • DSC08734.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No matter what the manufacturers say, all the expansion will be in the stone!
So a de-coupling layer will sort out any expansion.
My problem with these products is that, they are basically a floating floor. And we all know the problems.

Reply to Polypipe (Fixed Overlay) UFH in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen