Discuss Plywood for Wetroom subfloor in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'll be converting one of my upstairs bedrooms into an en-suite/wetroom and I want to replace th existing floorboards with plywood but struggling to figure out which type I need. I understand that it should be hardwood plywood which is at least EN 636-2 and EN314-2 Class 2 compliant but then does it need to be structural. Looking through different websites from Wickes to Travis Perkins but they all name the sheets differently and add to the confusion e.g. Wickes say Non-Structural Hardwood Plywood but it does comply with EN 636-2 and EN314-2 Class 2 (what used to be WBP).

Can you please advise what type do you normally buy for wetrooms?

Thank you

Reaction score
Yes, I will be using matting but can you please explain why I can't tile directly onto plywood. That's how people have done it for years and no issues. In my friends two ensuites plywood floor were tiled onto directly few years ago and not a single crack on the grout, tiles or loose tiles etc. The lavatories in the office I work in central London have plywood half walls tiled directly onto. Surely, as it's a commercial building with hundreds of people using them, it wouldn't be allowed if it was unsuitable?

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
yes i know i have done the same for years but for some reason maybe after a few
failed british standards now say you should not tile directly onto any type of wood.
i dont think i ever had one fail but now if one does its because its onto wood,
Thats what they would say.

Reaction score
I think people misread the BS. It only mentions tiling on plywood walls due to potential risk of plywood delaminating and tiles dropping on your head but there is no mention of plywood floors unless I’ve missed that section which I’m pretty sure havent.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It includes floors I think the wording is all areas.
Any tiler worth anything will tell you. That's why there's products like tile backer board and ditra and the many others on the market

Reaction score
For a wetroom floor I might use ply for noggins but overboard with something more appropriate. The wetroom I'm currently doing is using that approach.

Reaction score
Any tiler worth anything will tell you. That's why there's products like tile backer board and ditra and the many others on the market
Funny you mention Ditra, look at this cross section I was given by… Schluter UK.
1688053890826.jpeg

Reaction score
I think you’ve actually got that the wrong way around!
Because there are products like tile backer etc - they have changed the standards so you are forced to use their expensive products… as you say in previous post, you’ve never had a failure on ply!

Reaction score
but it is british standard
Plywood Walls - BS 5385-1:2018

Direct Tiling to Plywood Walls
Direct fixing of tiles to walls constructed from plywood is not recommended in BS 5385-1: 2018 Clause 6.1.2.7 Other sheets and boards (see also 6.2.3.3) “The use of sheets or boards that are subject to movement from changes in moisture content should be avoided. Plywood and other wood-based sheets or boards should not be used for direct tiling”

Reply to Plywood for Wetroom subfloor in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks