Search the forum,

Discuss plaster comes off when i remove the tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

noobtilegirl

Hi

I have just started to remove the tiles on my bathroom wall. The walls are solid walls but have been plastered (not plasterboard). As i am removing them, the plaster is coming off at the same time.

Do i need to replaster the wall before putting the new tiles on? or can i grout straight onto the concrete wall?

If i do need to re-plaster, how long do i need to leave the plaster to dry? i read somewhere that i need to leave it for a month, but i was planning to reapply the tiles in three weeks time.

thanks

I

Ian

Welcome to the forum. You say underneath the plaster is the concrete wall, is this brick/breeze block or a plaster bonding (bonding is used before a skim of finishing plaster is applied, sorry if you already know this!) and what type/size will your new tiles be?

W

White Room

As above, also is it about 2-3mm finish coming away from a hard cement/render, if you see what I mean.

I

Ian

As above, also is it about 2-3mm finish coming away from a hard cement/render, if you see what I mean.

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at!!!!!!!!!! Thats what it sounds like, the skim coat is coming away with the old tiles. Hopefully we'll find out soon :lol:

N

noobtilegirl

hi

I cant see the breeze block, so i am assuming what is left is the plaster bonding you mention above.

Thanks v. much for everyones help and comments so far.

I

Ian

You will need to repair where the skim has come off the bonding, as bonding is not suitable to tile directly to. What size/type are your new tiles just so we can make sure that they aren't too heavy to go onto skimmed walls.

W

White Room

To determine what backing for the finish plaster which is coming away, get an old screw driver and try to dig into the backing coat, if it's tough and won't damage, then it's odds on sand/cement.

If it digs in then it would be a gypsum backing..

You don't state what area your from.

N

noobtilegirl

Ok thanks for the responses - sounds like a little more work than I first thought. The new tiles are about the same size as the ones I'm replacing so hopefully should be ok for the wall.

J

johnfrench10

Hi noobtilegirl

Sorry to hijack your thread but I had a similar problem. My external wall had about an inch thick of bonding plaster which was very loose in places and just fell off. I removed all the loose stuff and evened it up with a 'one coat' plaster from Wickes although I built it up in a few layers.

The finish is far from smooth but it is flat and the 'one coat' dries much harder than the bonding plaster. My question was to Bri........can I tile straight on to the 'one coat' plaster which claims it is suitable for decoration or does it need a skim? I am only using 150 mm x 150 mm ceramic tiles.

Thanks

D

DHTiling

Yes you can... I use wickes one coat as well.. dries very hard.. and is a stable background for tiling to.

Reply to plaster comes off when i remove the tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen