Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I grouted my bathroom floor tiles last night with Mapei Ultracolor plus (112 medium grey) but it's drying with dark patches everywhere. I've read plenty of posts with people saying the grout has dried with lighter patches which is why I was so careful mixing it and applying it exactly as it said on the bag! I got that specific colour as it was so close to my tiles and I wanted the tile and grout to be as seamless as possible... but this just makes the whole job look bloody awful!

I'm still clinging on to the hope that it will fully dry out by tomorrow but I know deep down this is going to need sorting.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, is there any way to sort it without having to rake up the whole lot??! I've attached some pictures so you can see what I mean. The patches of lighter grey are what it should look like!

Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,655
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 1,619
Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You could try a very fine wet and dry sandpaper over the grout lines, this has worked for me in the past.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
That’s the problem with some grouts, I have had jobs dry patchy using Bal and Mapei.

You can do 10 jobs and one will be patchy, mixed the same, washed off the same. 🤷‍♂️

Although I had one go patchy and I had used softened water from the bathroom, not sure if that was why or not.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think it would be fair for the builder to sort it for you.

Reaction score
IMG_20191212_194257.jpg

[automerge]1576182086[/automerge]
That's a section of the grout that has been drying since Friday morning
[automerge]1576182134[/automerge]
IMG_20191212_195224.jpg

[automerge]1576182184[/automerge]
That's what he's done today, would the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ be what's causing the issues? I've asked him that and he said he doesn't think so

Reaction score
I’m not an expert, but he seems to be almost grouting with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Are you just seeing the darker https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ shining through on the finished bits?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The grout lines need to be cleaned out before grouting, it might be a contributing factor.

Reaction score
Just spoke to tile giant (where we got the grout) they said that it's down to it not being mixed properly and that the 2 options are to rake out and regrout or go for the grout reviver pen.

Spoke to my builder and he said rake out isn't an option so go for the pens, I thought great so ordered them and now he's saying that he doesn't know why he should be paying 🤦

OP
D

Dumbo

To be honest they always say about grout not being mixed correctly but I would say it's more likely water was left sat in the joint which tends to alter the colour .

Reply to Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock