Discuss Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

I have had similar problems in the past with this grout (Jasmine) and have read a few similar posts reporting the same problem. I had to recolour the grout to solve the issue. I will never use this grout again as I really don't rate it, it's far too sensitive and not user friendly (this is my own opinion).

I agree with you completely bri.
I have an issue right now with this grout.
it can go patchy and a bit milky even when mixed correctly, but what i like least is the jasmin.
It dries out ok after a while but in areas where there is water ie on shower floor.as soon as it gets wet it turns orange like it did when first mixed up.
iF area doesnt always have time to get bone dry you left with patchy coloured grout on floor.
i am trying to rectify by stainstop sealing the grout, which is ectra work.
mapei have been at this coloured grout game for long time and were ahead of evryone but i think there are other more user friendly good quality grouts out there which are certainly cheaper as well.

J

jonnyc

sorry forgot to mention about first post. i find grey grout can take weeks to dry out properly.
if worried could put a hairdryer on patchy part of grout after a few days and see if it changes colour.

it does get better

R

richardbell81

Quick update...

It's possibly looking slightly better, but still not how you'd want a finished job to look! I tried a hair dryer on a couple of patches this morning for 5 mind but didn't notice any immediate improvement!

I'l give it till Monday but I think I might try mapei fuga fresca on it if it doesn't dry properly. Only reason is that you can get it in the 112 medium grey which is exactly the colour I'm after!

My worry with a re-grout is that exactly the same thing will happen, especially if I use the remaining powder left in the bag!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Done a kitchen today in jasmine,no measuring water,no paddle, no problem, what seems to be the problem with some people, ive mixed grout, addy and plaster for nearly 30 years, no problem, do u all honestly think there is the same amount of grout/addy/plaster in each bag, trust me there aint :)

I

izzi1

Just grouted bathroom in ultracolour anthracite, I have had issues with shading in the past so this time i accurately weighed 1 kg batches and added it to 215 kg of water (200g doesnt seem enough, too thick). No shading issues, accurate measuring pays off, and i mixed it with a dessert spoon!

G

Gazzer

Just grouted bathroom in ultracolour anthracite, I have had issues with shading in the past so this time i accurately weighed 1 kg batches and added it to 215 kg of water (200g doesnt seem enough, too thick). No shading issues, accurate measuring pays off, and i mixed it with a dessert spoon!

Maybe he mixed it up in the bath ??? :smilewinkgrin:

G

Gall.B

Cant stand Mapei grout totaly agree with Bri, far to much faffing about, dont rate it at all :prrr:

I am quite liking Weber grouts and have always thought Bal grouts where streets ahead.

Can remember the old ultracolour, couldnt leave that 5 mins or it was welded to the bucket. :lol:

Reaction score
ive had exactly the same problem with 110 manhatten grey this week,hoping its going to dry out but im terrified it wont.I used a mechanical mixer and measured with a water bottlenot gonna sleep tonite.

Reply to Patchy Mapei grout... any ideas? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks