Search the forum,

Discuss Overcoming level difference the DIY way in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

easyt

When I tiled my kitchen floor I had a problem of level difference. The kitchen had originally been a rear entrance hall (5 foot by 7 foot), a corridor and a utility room. This had been changed by a previous owner to produce a kitchen about 17 foot by 11 foot.. When I came to refurbish the kitchen I found a difference in floor levels of up to 15mm. I had tiled walls and worktops before but never floors. This was 23 years ago.

I felt that the difference in levels was too much for slc and too little for a screed. I did not want to break out the existing screed and put the tiling back. In the area that was low I added a fine sharp sand and a few handfuls of Portland cement to the tile cement mix (not a rapid set) in order to bulk it out with the sand acting as a filler. I mixed the extra ingredients by eye. I would probably do it different today but 23 years later it has stood the est of time. Also did a neighbours kitchen with similar problem. and solution about 22 years ago. I charged him two bottles of Malt whisky. One for each evening I spent. (I did it in two hits as the units were staying in and he was able to use his kitchen at all times).

His floor has similarly stood the test of time.

How would you have done it today?

E

easyt

23 years later I would probably go the same route. At the time I was 35 and short of cash having just moved house :) and self levelling was also expensive.

Reply to Overcoming level difference the DIY way in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen