Search the forum,

Discuss Outdoor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johno

Hi all just a qiuk 1, av never tiled outside b4, looking at a job tiling over yorkshire stone with quarry tiles. have u guys any tips or advice, thanks johno. Plazy tiler:thumbsup:

S

Spud

first thing you must be sure of is that the york stone is solid and free of any movement as you cant see whats underneath the york stone it might be better to take it up and put a concrete base down, you will get good money for reclaimed york stone ,if you cant do this and you are sure there is no movement i would lay an uncoupling membrane, dpc or crack isolation membrane of your choice then you will need to screed over with sharp sand and cement mixed to a ratio of 4 sand 1 cement mixed to a semmi dry consistancy so when you grasp the mortar in you hand it compacts and doesnt fall apart i would put wire mesh reinforcing through the screed remember to create a fall running away from the house your ideal bed depth should be between 38-50mm leave this to cure (approx 1 week per inch thickness )then tile with exterior grade spf cement based adhesive and grout with flex grout

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Personally i would go with Gary's first thought.......take them up and lay a new base.....

W

White Room

You could also add fibres into the screed when mixing and it wants to be very flat when laid for quarrys

J

johno

Thanks gary 4 the good advice, think il give it a miss, think the fella wants it doing 4 buttons, How much would u charge 4 doing an 18m2 back garden as described gary, Thanks johno.

Reply to Outdoor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen