Discuss Newbie here in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Im neil, 36 from Brighton.

Im currently doing an entry level course to see if i want to change careers and get into tiling. Im really enjoying the course and am surprising myself with quality of work, conaidering this is the first time ive tiled.

I apologise in advance if any of my questions have been asked 100 times.

I will come back with some questions later.

Im basically here to gain advice on whether its the career for me.

Many thanks

Neil

Reaction score
Hi Im neil, 36 from Brighton.

Im currently doing an entry level course to see if i want to change careers and get into tiling. Im really enjoying the course and am surprising myself with quality of work, conaidering this is the first time ive tiled.

I apologise in advance if any of my questions have been asked 100 times.

I will come back with some questions later.

Im basically here to gain advice on whether its the career for me.

Many thanks

Neil
Hey Neil
Welcome to the trade. Like you I changed career recently from aviation due to this Covid pandemic.
I did have a City and Guilds in Bricklaying which covered tiling so I dusted it off and started up.
I live in Guernsey in the Channel Islands and up until 4 days ago we were living life normally with no restrictions and there was lots of work. Today were in full lockdown like you guys.
You will only know if its the career for you as time goes on. You will make plenty of mistakes as I have, but nothing horrendus so far.
The feeling of satisfaction when you do a good job makes it worthwhile.
The hardest thing for me was quoting jobs but as times gone on you get the hang of it. Just be careful to allow for more difficult jobs, i.e niches, wet rooms etc. The preparation is definately the key.
I found this site to be a great help in gaining advice and also You tube. There all a lot of little tips to gain watching the videos. A lot of American stuff on there and some of it differs from our ways but one guy
(Tilecoach) is worth subscribing to he is pretty good at explaining stuff.
Anyhow bud, good luck and enjoy.

Reaction score
Ok, so... here are some questions.

Should i wish to pursue a career in the tiling world, I would like to know some further infomation

1) money! Yep, sure its been asked before but I would like to know what would be realistic earnings if I was to be working for someone, and also for myself. Im in brighton area.

2) how would you recommend transitioning into the trade? I have 2 kids and a morgage so dropping to 90 quid a day wont work.

Many thanks for any help :)

Reply to Newbie here in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks