Search the forum,

Discuss Newbe tiling suspended timber floor with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cameraman

Hi
What a great site.

I'm very close to ordering travatine tiles, adhesive and grout for the ground floor of a 1930's brick semi. We are tiling most of the ground floor except the small kitchen which is a concrete screed.

The suspended floor has been taken back to the joists and made good/repaired then insulated and finished in 18mm ply. The UFH pipe work goes in on tuesday and the combi next weekend.

I'd like to start tiling soon after.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

D

DHTiling

Hello paul...welcome to tilers forums...

Some more details would be good please..

Is this al one room or is the small kitchen included..i'e mixed substrates.?

what insulation do have you used..?

C

cameraman

Hi dave
it's 2 rooms and a hall, we will do the kitchen later.

Used celotex 50mm then compressed 100mm rock wool on top of that then 18mm ply. 4 by 2 joists at 300ishcm centers. Water UFH will sit on aluminium plates under the ply. Some of the joists had to be replaced and some of the sleeper walls repointed but it was in good contiditon and doesn't move much. The air bricks were almost blocked up but cleared the underfloor void good flow of air now. Four air bricks are at joist height, fitted periscope vents to lower the air flow, the other two I made a heath robbinson vent by battoning damp proof membrane over the vent to make a channel for air through the insulation, not perfect I know.

thanks for the reply
Paul

C

cameraman

Hi
Is there anything else I need to do to prep the floor for tiling?
seal the ply facing the insulation?
Can anyone recommend a flexible adhesive for tavertine on ply, the tavartine merchant sells "stonefix" brand?
Does the tavertine need any prep or sealing before or as they are layed for a matt finish? And what products would you use?
How much wastage do I need to allow for?
Internal door frames, should they be fixed to the ply or the tile?
Should the floor insulation go up to the brick wall or should there be a gap to prevent moisture/heat transfer, what do you use to insulate or seal the skirting board?
Then there's grout, but I guess there is no rush to get that yet.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Reply to Newbe tiling suspended timber floor with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen