Search the forum,

Discuss moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

hi all
got a bit of a dilema hoping that you guys and gals can help with.

some of you may remember that awhile back i tiled a kitchen floor where the customer
refused to pay because he didny want too. I eventually got the money via a friend of mine who is a solicitor.

well when i tiled his kitchen i tiled upto his living room carpet which sat on the inside of the door, so when the double doors were closed you could see about 7 inches of tile inside the living room. This was acceptable at the time because the alternative was to leave a 7 inch gap from tile to carpet.

Just got off the phone from this customer who has asked if i can replace the tiles which are through the door as he has had a wooden floor fitted now.
the company that fitted the flooring along with the customer decided that it would look better if the tiles were cut back to sit inside the door jar (the correct position) but not at the time of fitting.

Anyway while cutting back the tiles (sounds like they used a grinder without a suitable blade) they have chipped the tiles so badly that when the door plate was fitted big chips are visible.

The company who fitted the floor have accepted responsability and are willing to pay for it to be repaired.

They will pay him once the job has been carried out and a invoice sent to their headoffice, now this is the good bit he hes PROMISED to pay me first and then claim it back from them.

my dilema is do i do the job considering last time (money in hand before i start work)
or just tell him its his problem (the words he used to me when explaining about my outlay on his floor) and to stuff it.

all opinions will be much appreciated.

chris

I

Ian

I'd personally not even respond to him, however if you feel like you want to do it, get paid in full before you even get out of the van. Don't get stung twice mate.

D

doug boardley

I'd do it Chris, if only as a goodwill gesture, sometimes you've gotta do these things to pan out better in the long run.

M

Mike

i wouldn't do it unless i was desperate for work/cash and only then if i had all monies up front

S

Stef

Personally Chris i would tell him to go & take a flying .... to himself.

On the same token though there is something pleasing about him phoning you back to sort what you advised to start with.

Paid in full before you even strike a blow & charge more than a full day rate for your EXPERTISE!!

H

hillhead

I wouldn't go back near him at all.
I have a couple of customers who i'll never go back near.

D

doug boardley

glorious opportunity to show your mettle Chris, that you can rise above his previous behaviour:smilewinkgrin:

Reply to moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen