Search the forum,

Discuss moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CJ CERAMICS

hi all
got a bit of a dilema hoping that you guys and gals can help with.

some of you may remember that awhile back i tiled a kitchen floor where the customer
refused to pay because he didny want too. I eventually got the money via a friend of mine who is a solicitor.

well when i tiled his kitchen i tiled upto his living room carpet which sat on the inside of the door, so when the double doors were closed you could see about 7 inches of tile inside the living room. This was acceptable at the time because the alternative was to leave a 7 inch gap from tile to carpet.

Just got off the phone from this customer who has asked if i can replace the tiles which are through the door as he has had a wooden floor fitted now.
the company that fitted the flooring along with the customer decided that it would look better if the tiles were cut back to sit inside the door jar (the correct position) but not at the time of fitting.

Anyway while cutting back the tiles (sounds like they used a grinder without a suitable blade) they have chipped the tiles so badly that when the door plate was fitted big chips are visible.

The company who fitted the floor have accepted responsability and are willing to pay for it to be repaired.

They will pay him once the job has been carried out and a invoice sent to their headoffice, now this is the good bit he hes PROMISED to pay me first and then claim it back from them.

my dilema is do i do the job considering last time (money in hand before i start work)
or just tell him its his problem (the words he used to me when explaining about my outlay on his floor) and to stuff it.

all opinions will be much appreciated.

chris

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
would'nt touch it with a very long barge pole, would'nt even consider stepping foot, back inside his house, after what he did to you, all the stress he caused you, i would just sit back with a big smile on my face knowing he has a problem, NOTHING to do with you and hes struggling to get it sorted, i would also tell every other tiler i know not to go near him.

i have had a few customers i wouldn't work for again and thats the way you need to look at it , as a new job repairing a floor, not fixing your own work..

G

gleno

Yeah I wouldn't go near it, not after having to get a solicitor involved to get your money. I can't believe this guy actually had the gall to ring you about it- makes me think he could have an ulterior motive? I really don't think it is going to harm your reputation- just imagine what he has already probably said about you after the initial works? At the end of the day it's your call but just think how stupid you're going to feel if this job turns to disaster as well? I wouldn't be looking at it as payback either, more that you have just learned from the initial experience.

Glen

I can understand why some of the guys would tell him to shove it (being way too polite I know) I have had other clients that have done this and wished them to hell, But sometimes people really do need a second chance.

Nobody is going to judge you either way what you do. But I guarantee if you do what your heart tells you, you will be the hero and if it does turn to custard you will still be the hero and nobody has the right to say i told you so because they are not you.
But if it works out then you will be considered what we here in NZ, call a Bloody Legend Mate.
At the end of the day what really matters is how you will feel about YOUR decision.
Yeah Yeah I know i'll be getting out my hanky soon:nopity:

U

user123

I can understand why some of the guys would tell him to shove it (being way too polite I know) I have had other clients that have done this and wished them to hell, But sometimes people really do need a second chance.

Nobody is going to judge you either way what you do. But I guarantee if you do what your heart tells you, you will be the hero and if it does turn to custard you will still be the hero and nobody has the right to say i told you so because they are not you.
But if it works out then you will be considered what we here in NZ, call a Bloody Legend Mate.
At the end of the day what really matters is how you will feel about YOUR decision.
Yeah Yeah I know i'll be getting out my hanky soon:nopity:

Definitely. That can go either way from where I'm sitting, both can be seen as weak or strong from different angles, but only you'll know what the ideal scenario would be for you. Consider it a luxury to be back in control with this. In this case this guy needs you way more than you need him, so that must be quite satisfying in itself? :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Is this the guy that wanted all your stuff gone early at the end of every working day? The same guy that said you'd done a great job but didn't fancy paying? the guy who locked you out and left the last of your stuff on the lawn?

Now the same guy wants your help and you're actually thinking of doing it??!!? :mad2:

U

user123

Is this the guy that wanted all your stuff gone early at the end of every working day? The same guy that said you'd done a great job but didn't fancy paying? the guy who locked you out and left the last of your stuff on the lawn?

Now the same guy wants your help and you're actually thinking of doing it??!!? :mad2:

As ever, you have a great way with words... :lol: put like that.. hmm... :lol:

C

CJ CERAMICS

just to give you an update on this.

called round this morning to inspect the damage and price to repair, guy was as pleasant as can be.........then started haggling over the price claiming I WAS TRYING TO RIP HIM OFF bearing in mind all costs are being paid by flooring company.

Told him that that was the price but even if he offered me double money i would not be touching it and he will have to get the flooring company to arrange repair themselves.

Decided that as i did the job ages ago and have had no recommendations from it I probably could live with him bad mouthing me to his friends....cos live is too short to worry.

thank you for all your opinions

chris

U

user123

called round this morning to inspect the damage and price to repair, guy was as pleasant as can be.........then started haggling over the price claiming I WAS TRYING TO RIP HIM OFF bearing in mind all costs are being paid by flooring company.

Told him that that was the price but even if he offered me double money i would not be touching it and he will have to get the flooring company to arrange repair themselves.

Decided that as i did the job ages ago and have had no recommendations from it I probably could live with him bad mouthing me to his friends....cos live is too short to worry.

chris

Oh my God, that guy really takes the biscuit, he's not right in the head, is he? :lol: But well done, you got the best of both worlds, you tried, he failed, (again!!) all good for you, bad for him. Wow. Enjoy your weekend :thumbsup:

T

The D

chris
I would have gone on the morning and got the money of him and then told him to do one. See if he likes having to get a solicitor involved.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
What is it with these people? Before I was in the trade and visiting houses and meeting people I thought I understood what makes people tick, how to deal with them and what their motives were.

It turns out I DON'T know people at all and I will never understand what makes ceratin people behave in the way they do.

never a truer statement

Reply to moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.