Search the forum,

Discuss Mind The Gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Gnasher

TF
Reaction score
Hi

I'm sure this must be a regular question, but no idea how to find the answer on here.

When tiling around a bath, how big a gap should be allowed between the top of the bath and the bottom row of tiles?

I'm sure I've previously read that it should be 5mm to allow the silicon to get in the gap and form a good seal.

Thanks for your help.

Gnasher

P

p4ulo

5mm is quite big mate.
I always use a spacer on its side around the edge of the bath, must be 2-3mm I guess? Don't forget to fill the bath with water before you sealant.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Put a straight edge along the bath. Most are rarely flat so there may be 1 mm at the ends and 3-4mm in the centre or vice versa

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi

I'm sure this must be a regular question, but no idea how to find the answer on here.

When tiling around a bath, how big a gap should be allowed between the top of the bath and the bottom row of tiles?

I'm sure I've previously read that it should be 5mm to allow the silicon to get in the gap and form a good seal.

Thanks for your help.

Gnasher

2 mm is plenty. .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
2-3mm for me with red wedges for support

Gnasher

TF
Reaction score
Hi I'm sure this must be a regular question, but no idea how to find the answer on here. When tiling around a bath, how big a gap should be allowed between the top of the bath and the bottom row of tiles? I'm sure I've previously read that it should be 5mm to allow the silicon to get in the gap and form a good seal. Thanks for your help. Gnasher

Reply to Mind The Gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, just tiled one of two sides of my shower tray but I’ve left a 7mm gap at the base...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen