Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Matt emulsion paint as primer for plastered wall before tiling? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Riker007

I've never heard of the above method being used. I was told by an experienced builder that this is what to use. Basically 3/4 of the plasterboard walls were taken off, new plasterboard put up, then had a skim of plaster to match up to what part of the walls wasn't taken down. The plaster has had a week or so to dry, and it was literally a skim to even up the walls. Now from what I've read, people are saying different things. The tub, yes tub of ready mix adhesive (super grip stuff recommended to use by large tiling company - who also have a fleet of their own tilers) says on the back can be applied straight to plastered walls.
Anyhow, the builder has painted the walls with matt emulsion. I'm the one who is going to tile it all, and have previously had difficulties when it comes to old emulsion paint on walls. So now it has had a fresh coat of emulsion onto the plaster, is that perfectly okay or does the surface just need scratching up before tiling? I want to able to sleep at night...

D

Deleted member 9966

get rid of the emulsion paint on the plaster skim. like Rob says above, sanding will get it off or you might be able to scrub it off with a wet sponge if it's just cheap paint. buy a suitable tiling primer (not PVA or paint) to apply over the sanded plaster skim and you'll be able to tile from there.

out of curiosity, what size tiles are going on the walls?

S

Stewart

I would remove the paint and call this so called "experienced builder" an idiot. You need to prime the walls with the recommended primer to suit the adhesive (NO PVA). What size of tile are you putting on top of the skimmed plaster as there may be a weight issue and tubbed gear is not recommended for large format tiles.

R

Riker007

Well the tiles are 300x450, a little large for tubbed adhesive but the tiling place guarantees it will work perfectly and have no problems, its the same stuff they always use, and the tiles were bought from them , they've been in business for 40 years so I guess the tubbed stuff will be fine.
I popped in to speak to them about the emulsion problem, both their resident tiler and a visiting tiler both agreed that if I were to scratch the walls up properly, then sanding it all off won't be necessary. So my dilemma is:

a. sand it all off, then prime it with the official tiling primer stuff.

b. scatch it all up, tile straight onto wall, either with or without tiling primer.

Option A is obviously the best option, but as long as the tiles aren't going to fall off ever, then option B. Or option C?

n.b Is there not primer stuff already mixed in with adhesive?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

The adhesive is unsuitable for that format of tile no matter what the shop says.. 300x300 is the max size for a dispersion adhesive..

Use a standard set cement based adhesive and after paint removal prime the walls with an acrylic primer to prevent reaction with the adhesive.

As for the builder.... his excuse so he can get on with the painting i guess.. but deffo wrong advice just like the shops.

P

paul78

amazing how shops recommend this stuff!!

always supply the gear, that way you know its the correct stuff (saves time and money) .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
never in my life have i heard this,the only time you should use paint to prime new plaster,is,erm,when it needs painting:smilewinkgrin:

Reaction score
hi
builder seems to want to get ahead and some tiling shop workers have no idea about tiling.
the problem is everybody wants to be done and paid and wants it done quickly,dont give in as it will be you getting the call when the tiling fails and it will be your time and money fixing it. do it right the first time and if the builder doesnt like it then tough atleast you know your doing it right. i had trouble with plumbers last week as they had installed the undertile heating sensor and thermostat before id even layed the insulation boards,i made them remove them and they moaned at me and asked if i always did things by the book,thought everybody did,apparantly they dont!!!

good luck and you cant go wrong with the advice from everybody above,sand it off,prime it and id use a powdered adhesive and you'll have no problems.

R

Riker007

Ok well having a go at sanding the paint off, its very stubborn and doesn't want to come off! I've used all sorts of coarse sandpaper, cabinet sandpaper, paper for wood/paint and yet it is very hard to get it off. Tried a sander machine too, that works a very small bit at a time.. It would take probably 2 days or more to get all the paint off all the way round bathroom, and my poor arms won't last that long! Is there any method, or particular sandpaper to use to make this task a lot easier??

Reply to Matt emulsion paint as primer for plastered wall before tiling? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks