Search the forum,

Discuss Matt emulsion paint as primer for plastered wall before tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul78

amazing how shops recommend this stuff!!

always supply the gear, that way you know its the correct stuff (saves time and money) .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
never in my life have i heard this,the only time you should use paint to prime new plaster,is,erm,when it needs painting:smilewinkgrin:

Reaction score
hi
builder seems to want to get ahead and some tiling shop workers have no idea about tiling.
the problem is everybody wants to be done and paid and wants it done quickly,dont give in as it will be you getting the call when the tiling fails and it will be your time and money fixing it. do it right the first time and if the builder doesnt like it then tough atleast you know your doing it right. i had trouble with plumbers last week as they had installed the undertile heating sensor and thermostat before id even layed the insulation boards,i made them remove them and they moaned at me and asked if i always did things by the book,thought everybody did,apparantly they dont!!!

good luck and you cant go wrong with the advice from everybody above,sand it off,prime it and id use a powdered adhesive and you'll have no problems.

R

Riker007

Ok well having a go at sanding the paint off, its very stubborn and doesn't want to come off! I've used all sorts of coarse sandpaper, cabinet sandpaper, paper for wood/paint and yet it is very hard to get it off. Tried a sander machine too, that works a very small bit at a time.. It would take probably 2 days or more to get all the paint off all the way round bathroom, and my poor arms won't last that long! Is there any method, or particular sandpaper to use to make this task a lot easier??

D

Deleted member 9966

There is nothing that I can recommend to make this job easier. I'm a DIYer and I had the same problem with emulsion paint all over the walls where I wanted to tile up to full height. It took myself and my husband a whole day to sand the emulsion off. It was a hard and dusty job due to the thickness of the paint on the walls.

The last 2 of the 4 photo's shows what it used to be like and the first 2 are now it's tiled full height to the ceiling. Unfortunately the paint has to come off.

Attachments

• DSC00335.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00334.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bath.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 29
  • window.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Matt emulsion paint as primer for plastered wall before tiling? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen