Discuss Leveling Compound Failed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Millington Deco

Has anyone seen self leveling compound fail? I've looked at a floor tiling job and the leveling compound laid 24 hrs ago is crumbling and dusty, it disintegrates when swept in places.
What is the cause of this and how can it be fixed?

H

hmtiling

Sounds like too much water when mixed.
If it's a concrete floor you could try a few coats of primer at 1 to 1.

W

White Room

Was it a 2 part levelling or just one that water was added to...as above if to much water added.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Depends on the manufacturer. Some you mix with water and some need latex. Get it wrong and you have crumbly cement!

M

Millington Deco

Over watering has created a weak mix , needs to be removed , no other way ...
Customer wants to avoid removing it as it's been laid on 20 m2 of underfloor heating wires and insulation boards. :tearsofjoy:

Q

Qwerty

Customer wants to avoid removing it as it's been laid on 20 m2 of underfloor heating wires and insulation boards. :tearsofjoy:

Sounds like the decision is made then!?
I wouldn't risk it if it's that crumbly, get it up & start again.
What SLC is it? What brand? What mixing quantities were used? Any photos?

J

J Sid

Remove yes.... :(
Could be old batch.
Could be laid and not bonded well to unprimed insulation boards with foot traffic breaking it up.
Needs sorting before redoing or it will happen again

M

Millington Deco

Customers son works for a builder who did it, unsure of brand, method of application etc. I will recommend he contacts the builder to rectify the floor.

J

Just Rizzle

some one hasn't tread the instruction on the bag if you follow there mix ratios it wont fail also important to seal the floor with suitable primer befor laying

Reply to Leveling Compound Failed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks