Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Leaking wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rich

To be honest I think the water has prob done a horrible amount of damage to the substrate. Cutting out the grout and replacing it with a silicone joint (it would be worth getting a tiler to do this) will make that joint water proof but you said that there is holes in the grout further up. Even if you have somebody in to cut out and replace all the grout, the substrat will still be ruined. As gooner has said, the entire area should have been tanked. It seems that the installation wasnt done properly from start to finish.

D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks again, I will take your advice, GirlRacerRed has already given me a link to somebody nearby on this forum.

Will, please don't be put off by Macten's profile picture... he needed a holiday by that point :lol:

W

Will

I dont doubt that it wasnt done properly given the plonker who did it ran the ensuite waste into a soakaway rather than the mains, I have spent two weekends relaying new drains to clear that one up already! I hate to think what he did in the ensuite shower cubicle as well in terms of waterproofing the walls. Do you think this is a job for a plumber/tiler?

R

Rich

Id get the recommended tiler in to have a look and if he says you need a plumber than take it from there. Some tilers do all the work others will not. The problem with going straight to a plumber is that they will almost always say that they will do the work themselves and very few of them know the details like the silicone joints in the corners.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been to look at this hoping remedial work would sort it but unfortunately requires ripping out and re-doing properly.

From what I can see looking up from the garage is a sheet of ditra laid on the floorboards (no sign of it being stuck down with spf) then 12mm thick MDF on top of that - all this on a floating floor.
Can put my hand up and feel the backs of the brown skirting tiles that are dot and dabbed at the very tops where the PB ends, below that there is nothing.
Other areas of the bathroom have tiles holding on with grout.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Here's the shower waste through what looks and feels like MDF :
P1010062.jpg

Here you can see Ditra onto floorboards, the MDF is then on top of this:
P1010063-1.jpg

Where walls meet floor:
P1010060.jpg

P1010058.jpg

F

faithhealer

not a chance of that ever working was there. lost count of the number of houses now that have a shower they don't use because it leaks!

J

jay

O M G how do they sleep at night that room was doomed the minute they started thanks for the update Macten:mad2:

Reply to Leaking wet room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks