Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jimbob

Hi,

Just had the new kitchen fitted - see pics attached. Units are walnut, countertops are black granite effect, stainless steel appliances and grey porcelain floor tiles (see last pic).

Have looked in Tile Giant and Topps and nothing is jumping out at us for the splashback. Any suggestions as to colour or type?

Also what is the biggest splashback tile normally used? A lot of the nicer tiles are rather large which would look a bit daft for a splashback

Cheers :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC00392.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00390.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00389.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00393.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00395.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 53
D

Deleted member 9966

Wow Jimbob, that is a lovely kitchen :hurray: Do you have under-cabinet lighting fitted? because that might also play a part on how good your splashback looks. Personally, I think you need something to set against the black work surface you have. White might be too striking but how about black brick shaped tiles, fixed brickbond, with white grout?

Best of luck with finding something suitable :thumbsup:

J

jimbob

Thanks GRR, it is in fact a relatively cheap kitchen from B&Q, and fitted by my cousin at family rates :thumbsup:. We did go to town a bit on the appliances though

We did not go for under unit lighting, so what you see is what you get. I shall get a couple of the tiles you suggest and see how it looks :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 9966

You can always add under cabinet lighting later on Jimbob. Hubby and I did when we moved to our new house. B&Q do something called rope lights where you can hook several mini strip lights together. I'm not sure how hubby wired/plugged them in though :oops: I wasn't looking when he did that bit.

If the room is well lit, a black splashback will look fab with the kitchen, but you've got to be sure it's what you want as them tiles will be up for a while!

J

jimbob

I try and stay as far away from electrical work as possible!

We had under cabinet lighting in the previous kitchen but to be honest we never used it - out of sight out of mind, I suppose.

Black tiles may look a bit dark without it, perhaps...

T

Time's Ran Out

Use the same tile on the walls as on the floor but fix it with interest!
Get chrome/steel inlay strips and have them horizontally above and below all the socket - they look as though they can all be lined up - in this 100/110mm gap cut strips of the floor tile and fix vertically around the whole tiled area.
This will leave you about 200mm below and above feature border to use the same floor tile.
It should look simple and stunning!:thumbsup:

Have Fun!

Timeless John.

C

CJ CERAMICS

Use the same tile on the walls as on the floor but fix it with interest!
Get chrome/steel inlay strips and have them horizontally above and below all the socket - they look as though they can all be lined up - in this 100/110mm gap cut strips of the floor tile and fix vertically around the whole tiled area.
This will leave you about 200mm below and above feature border to use the same floor tile.
It should look simple and stunning!:thumbsup:

Have Fun!

Timeless John.

nice idea john,
but how about seeing if they do a walnutty colour in the floor tile and insert these in between profiles?
chris :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Can be any range of tiles inside the profile - even glass or mosaic - like the walnut colour CJ.:thumbsup:

Timeless John

J

jimbob

Some nice ideas there guys, thanks. I like the idea of the horizontal chrome profile all around, with feature tiles in between. I'll run it past the trouble and strife and see if she has the same confidence in my abilities as you do!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to Kitchen splashback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen