Discuss Issue Drilling Glazed Porcelain Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

I have got wind of an enquiry today. A customer has got 600x300 glazed porcelain tiles that they are trying to drill a 6mm hole into.

They have tried dry bits, wet bits with a cooling system, loose tiles from the front and back, fitted tiles, tape, a drill clamp...... but the tile just shatters. No-one else has had an issue drilling these tiles before.

Using similar equipment and techniques, they have managed to cut a 27mm hole for a pipe, but 6mm holes are proving impossible.

I spoke to one of our local tilers and he thought the only thing it could be, other than the incorrect bits being used, is that they are applying too much pressure.

Customer stated to my colleague that the bits used are new, diamond tipped and suitable for porcelain. Unsure of the brand though.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

I have got wind of an enquiry today. A customer has got 600x300 glazed porcelain tiles that they are trying to drill a 6mm hole into.

They have tried dry bits, wet bits with a cooling system, loose tiles from the front and back, fitted tiles, tape, a drill clamp...... but the tile just shatters. No-one else has had an issue drilling these tiles before.

Using similar equipment and techniques, they have managed to cut a 27mm hole for a pipe, but 6mm holes are proving impossible.

I spoke to one of our local tilers and he thought the only thing it could be, other than the incorrect bits being used, is that they are applying too much pressure.

Customer stated to my colleague that the bits used are new, diamond tipped and suitable for porcelain. Unsure of the brand though.

Any ideas anyone?

Yeah, use Rubi dry bits (or similar) with a grinder, much easier to control, not much pressure required. (Old adage, let the tool do the work! Hahaha u can take that how u wish!:rolleyes:)

And sometimes when a tile has been overfired, don't matter how good u are, they shatter, too much tension in the tile. Had a similar issue myself recently. New batch delivered, cut perfectly.

I

Italy

the best thing is to throw in the ocean tiles :)
it happened to me, impossible drilling, Mondrillo Montolit, bit sigma, etc. ecc.sempre wet dry break.
called technical factory tiles, tiles with bad baking.
the biggest problem were 20 bathrooms, all the same.
then brand of tiles (do not name) at the end of work paid me € 600 for the broken bits

O

One Day

Hmmmm...... one to raise with the factory me thinks. Thanks for the tips guys.

The factories always deny it. My advice - take a tile and run it through your wet saw.
You should see the gap behind the blade close as you get through the tile.
Without cutting right through - take a picture of the closed gap. That's your evidence of poor firing control.
(here's one I had similar trouble with:)
SP_A0317.jpg

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
You might find that the waste is getting caught in the core bit as you're going through and this might cause too much heat/stress . With holes that small I'd go in a few mm , then snap out the waste from the tile with a small flat head screwdriver , then continue on down again and repeat until through. Might sound a laborious but it could save some heartache.
And remember this process is not drilling , it's grinding at a slow speed , patience is key imho.

Diggy :0)

Reply to Issue Drilling Glazed Porcelain Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley