Search the forum,

Discuss Is This The Right Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

suze

Hi,
I am applying glass/mixed mosaic tiles to a wooden but painted bath panel. I have some Mapei flexible wall and floor grout and some keraflex flexible adhesive. The problem is, neither say I can use them on wood. Do you think they will be OK?
thanks

T

Tile Shop

The adhesive is suitable for the mosaics and well braced wooden surfaces, but I'd be dubious about tiling onto painted wood. There is no telling how well the paint is bonded because of the atmospheric conditions bathrooms suffer. The wood panel can also swell and flex which can cause the adhesive and grout to crack, or worse case, fall off altogether.

If it was my bath, I'd be taking the wood panel off and building a new one out of 20mm Marmox board.

S

suze

The adhesive is suitable for the mosaics and well braced wooden surfaces, but I'd be dubious about tiling onto painted wood. There is no telling how well the paint is bonded because of the atmospheric conditions bathrooms suffer. The wood panel can also swell and flex which can cause the adhesive and grout to crack, or worse case, fall off altogether.

If it was my bath, I'd be taking the wood panel off and building a new one out of 20mm Marmox board.

Thanks for that. Actually, the panel has been on for a few years with other tiles on it. I had to remove them to get a tap replaced so hopefully its done all the swelling it will ever do..... If the paint is potentially a problem (I have painted it since the other tiles were on it) I can turn it round so its bare but I figure the dark colour will not bring out the tiles. I think it might in fact be marine ply rather than just "wood", sorry, you can see I am not a professional.....

O

Old Mod

Keraflex and timber are not a match made in heaven.
image.png

If your budget is a factor, and u want to use the adhesive, then u must make sure the panel is very well supported.
It's preferable to use un painted side but it must be primed with an SBR primer and not a PVA.

What colour is your adhesive?
If it's grey It won't do your mosaics any favours colour wise, needs to be white.
If it is white, prime your board and using the back edge (smooth side) put a skim of adhesive on first to turn board white and let it dry, then tile it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

keraflex for wooden surfaces??

Reply to Is This The Right Adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen