Search the forum,

Discuss im i guilty or not first time refused payment in 10 years in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

Try not to go thru the court issue IMO on this matter.

Check to see if there are metal polishers out there who could sort this problem

H

huckin

i think the new hob and fitted will cost around £300.i will suggest tryin to polish the marks out and hopefully when she sees the other hobs marked she will see that im not just tryin it on myself

dave09

TF
Reaction score
i think the newe hob and fitted will cost around £300.i will suggest tryin to polish the marks out and hopefully when she sees the other hobs marked she will see that im not just tryin it on myself

Think she's the one trying it on!! don't suppose for one minute she would purchase a replacement either!!! how about calling her bluff and say you have to get your insurance valuer to see it and then see if she swerves on that, maybe worth a punt. anyway good luck.

Dave

F

faithhealer

Good luck with this one, arrange an appointment with her, don't just turn up ask for an independant witness to be present, this should send the message you mean business

P

paulyoung666

offer to take the customer to B&Q to show her the scratches in the 'new' hobs , should sort it i reckon :hurray:

T

Time's Ran Out

Hukin - If this is the first time you've been refused payment in 10 years you've done very well!
Some customers are just trying to get something for nothing and no matter how 'nice' they are and how professional you act, there can be many reasons that a job can turn sour!
I may start a thread on this in the future but I've certainly had that cold sweat feeling on the back of the neck on a few occasions.
I tiled a 2week old bespoke kitchen with oiled wood worktops many years ago before tile cutters were as today - ie hand held 'nails' by cintride .
I covered all the worktops with cardboard and overcovered with dust sheets.
After finishing and removing all protection, directly under my cutting area was hundreds of cut/scratch lines!
I brought the onwer into the kitchen and asked her if she knew that these marks were there and expecting a tounge lashing she said -'I've told my mother not to cut bread on those wooden tops'!
It will happen again to you in the future and you do every thing you can to limit your responsibility.
I've got no answer to your payment situation but beware - they are out there!

T

TT Tiling

its a sad world we live in , peeps trying it on ,everyone looking for something for nothing , take the time to check it all
hope it goes well mate

O

oldgit

grout dust ALWAYS shows imperfections up,the main one is when they aint cleaned there worktops for months on end,it will also show light knife marks on worktops etc etc..
if you know you didnt do it take her to court,you get one of these ****s once in awhile.
the thing is you go to houses on your best behaviour so to speak,and sometimes they just think your a mug.

A

albyshellshear

tell her to polish the stainless with olive oil it covers the blemishes and brings the sheen back could solve her/your problem good look :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
She should still pay the bill for the tiling and then she would have to argue that you scratched the hob. If she withheld payment that would go against her in court and she wouldn't even be able to start a claim regarding the hob.

I'd go through the legal channel, it is setup to protect you if she withholds the payment.

Customer are not allowed to do that. If they have a problem with something they have to pay you in full and then give you the chance to rectify the problem once it has been rpoven it is your fault.

If the hob is brand new and she has a recent receipt, then perhaps then you'll struggle to defend, otherwise it's a used hob and could have scratches on it.

That said, if a customer is claiming something, I'd try to sort the problem out either way. Though only after payment has been made in full. Just for the sake of keeping your reputation and trying to please the difficult customer.

Reaction score
stainless sinks have to be broken in like a wok if i were you i would print off the info the company provides with regard to care of the sink

this complaint happens a lot with most kitchen companies

C

CJ CERAMICS

sadly some customers will try and get away without paying or claim for things that have never happened, i once had a customer phone me up after i had finished tiling his bathroom with only the grouting to do to tell me that he did not want me back to finish the job and that he would not be paying me as he had discovered a large chip in his bath and that he would be billing me for the cost of a new one. now this was news to me as when i arrived at the job the bath already had covers in it to protect it and i then covered the top with cardboard taped to the bath. and as i did all my cutting outside and didnt drop anything onto the bath i was puzzelled to say the least. i decided to drive back to the job to speak in person to him and inspect the damage. when he opened the door his face fell, when i explained that i would like to inspect the damage he said it was not appropriate as his wife was going in the bath,
just at that moment his wife shouted from upstairs "peter have you not sorted the chip in that bath yet......its been nearly 6 months since you did it".:yikes:
there was red faces all round........his with embarressment mine with anger.
im with dan on this one if she doesnt pay take her to court and let them decide.
chris

Reply to im i guilty or not first time refused payment in 10 years in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen