Search the forum,

Discuss im i guilty or not first time refused payment in 10 years in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

huckin

hello finshed a kichen splashback yesterday.went back to collect cheque and do the silcone but when i got there the customer said she wasn,t goin to pay me as i had strached her stainless steel hob i was in total shock as i had dust sheeted it and only removed the dust sheet after i had dusted off the tiles.the only thing i had done was wipe it with a dry soft sponge because grout dust had settled on it after i had put my tools away.these strachs were very light but there was quite alot i then decided to go to b&q to check there stainless steel hobs and sinks and was shocked to see that all the brand new hobs had the same straches if you looked very closely just wondered im i wrong in thinkin this marks were alrealy there.and has anyone had a simaliar problem

W

White Room

I have'nt but goes to prove everything must be checked even baths for any marks before tiling takes place

G

gm140

She sounds like a chancer mate, but whatever you do keep it civil and take a witness when you go to speak to her.

Graeme
ETL Pro Tiling

H

hillhead

Tell her you protected the whole lot and that there is scratches on most of them hobs for a fact.ask her if she has a problem with your tiling? If not then tell her you'll see her in court.

G

gm140

It would be murder if their comes a time when we have to go round every job with a fine tooth combe getting customers to sign off on every scratch, scrape, chip or blemmish before we dare to begin any work:mad2:

Graeme
ETL Pro Tiling

H

huckin

i have defintly learned to check everything from now on. but what i
would say for example if you noticed a mark on a bath which a workmate had fitted would you tell the customer to cover yourself. as if you look closely at most things you can find inperfections

dave09

TF
Reaction score
As whitebeam says,we should always check for damages, But we often dont/forget and so dont have problems until something like this happens my only advice, although late, is i wouldnt have used a dry sponge as this could have had some dust/dirt in the pores, i would have used a damp one, but also agree dont go in there shouting, a calm way will get you further, if you have insurance would that be an option? anyway good luck.

Dave

H

huckin

the insurance is a no go as i have to pay a £500 excess charge first. think i might have to bite the bullet this time

Y

Yorkie

She may not be aware of the all the stock being in the same condition so before you do anything take pics *if you can* or explain the situation with the customer, she should then take up the issue with the store instead and thank you for being so dilligent and helpful. If she doesn't want to know or listen then its obvious that shes a chancer so stay professional and don't lose your rag easier said than done I know and then way up your options. Key is Step by step and dont jump to conclusions as it could be a case of simple cross wires. All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

i have defintly learned to check everything from now on. but what i
would say for example if you noticed a mark on a bath which a workmate had fitted would you tell the customer to cover yourself. as if you look closely at most things you can find inperfections

At the end of the day would you take responsibility for someone elses mistakes when it could make you liable

dave09

TF
Reaction score
the insurance is a no go as i have to pay a £500 excess charge first. think i might have to bite the bullet this time

Thats what i expected with the insurance :thumbsdown: i think what others have said being calm is your best route " but firm" how much would a new hob be? or how about polishing out the scratches? prob is if she is trying it on then thats not an option. but then you are trying/offering to resolve the problem.

Dave

Reply to im i guilty or not first time refused payment in 10 years in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen