Search the forum,

Discuss How to get shower tray into recess? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all

Have read many posts on this forum and it has been a great help. This is my first post though.

So I'm trying to install a new shower tray into a recess (walls on three sides). I don't understand how I can get the tray flush against all three because even if the walls are perfectly square and the right size to take the tray, I can't see how I could physically drop the tray in there when there is mortar at the bottom (tray manufacturer instructions).

As it stands, the walls are out of square (plumb is good) and I can only just get the tray in. That leaves a gap along one edge of circa 25mm. I was thinking to put the tray in and centre it so the are two gaps of around 12mm on each side. Then mortar along to fill those gaps, silicoln and place boards on top of that. Then tile the board.

It feels like a bodge though but I can't understand how a normal installation would get a tray to be flush against three walls in a recess without pushing the mortar everwhere if sliding it in. And since it can't be pushed firmly against all three walls (because two of the walls are opposite each other!) there will always be a mm or 3 on one side won't there?

B

Bill

Put the tray square with two adjacent walls that are as near to square as possible then reclad the wall that is not square.

Make sure all gaps are filled and watertight.

D

Dumbo

Dont push the tray in . Get it on one edge where you need it then let it pivot over away from you using packing straps to control rate of drop then when it is down pull packing straps out .

R

rufus the tiler

even if you try and even the gap, making the tiling right would be impossible and the shower door wont fit.

W

Waluigi

Yes, check the minimum/maximum compensation on your shower screen.
As others have said, get the tray in and then meet the tray with the third board which is installed after the tray has been bedded in.

Reaction score
Lots of great ideas there many thanks.

The baton method I guess is similar to the propping up but you'd lose coverage where the batons were?

W

Waluigi

I tend to get my tray level by using packers. Then mark where the packers are. Mortar the floor and drop my tray it and bed down. The packers prevent it from bedding down too far as it’ll never bed in past the packers.

Reply to How to get shower tray into recess? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen