Currently reading:
How to get shower tray into recess?

Search the forum,

Discuss How to get shower tray into recess? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all

Have read many posts on this forum and it has been a great help. This is my first post though.

So I'm trying to install a new shower tray into a recess (walls on three sides). I don't understand how I can get the tray flush against all three because even if the walls are perfectly square and the right size to take the tray, I can't see how I could physically drop the tray in there when there is mortar at the bottom (tray manufacturer instructions).

As it stands, the walls are out of square (plumb is good) and I can only just get the tray in. That leaves a gap along one edge of circa 25mm. I was thinking to put the tray in and centre it so the are two gaps of around 12mm on each side. Then mortar along to fill those gaps, silicoln and place boards on top of that. Then tile the board.

It feels like a bodge though but I can't understand how a normal installation would get a tray to be flush against three walls in a recess without pushing the mortar everwhere if sliding it in. And since it can't be pushed firmly against all three walls (because two of the walls are opposite each other!) there will always be a mm or 3 on one side won't there?

Jonathanb

TF
Esteemed
North yorkshire
956962ED-1F0A-4CAE-8383-6D60E53FE1D4.jpeg
Just fit it like this one I have just pulled out :D

I had the same query last April (2018). I wanted to put a 90x90cm ceramic base into a newly made (green plaster board) cabinet. I made sure the cabinet was exactly the size of the ceramic tray. In my case the tray needed to be 14cm off the floor.

A friend is a Paris-Dakar rally competitor with some neat kit. So I borrowed his hydraulic jack (13cm deep) fitted four of the ajustable legs into the cabinet area, set the height, then gently rolled the jack, carrying the ceramic base, into the cabinet. Checked the position and released the air gently lowering the ceramic tray onto the legs... perfect... I'm amazed at how smoothly and easily the whole operation went...:)

Reply to How to get shower tray into recess? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement