Search the forum,

Discuss How to check for voids under tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

smurfitt

Another piece of advice given to me is to check this by tapping the tile with my knuckles.
When I tap the middle, most tiles sounds solid but off centre on some I get a sort of hollow sound.
Majority of the hallway tiles sound hollow in the middle.
Any cause for concern?
What will happen?
How to rectify?

Thankyou for any advice.

G

Gazzer

Were you able to see what method was used to fix these tiles. Sounds as if they have been dot and dabbed ???

S

smurfitt

They spread the adhesive on the floor then combed it and placed the tile down and hit it with open palm.

G

Gazzer

Then in theory it should be fine but it would take an experienced fixer a site visit to say anymore on this matter really.

M

mikethetile

tiles can sound hollow if tapped which is why it takes an experianced ear to tell the difference

but if its a concrete subfloor with 100% addy coverage then the tiles wouldnt normally sound hollow if tapped

U

user123

Same on our floor!! I did the setting out in the hall and kitchen, hubby did the adhesive spreading and laying the tiles, no dot and dabbing, but boy do these tiles sound hollow, horrible. Some in the middle, some in the corners... concrete underneath but not very even, granted... we didn't know about SLC then. Is that to blame? Looks fine, sounds awful.

W

White Room

Could the tiles have bowed in the firing process which gives a hollow in the centre

D

DHTiling

The higher the sound pitch the more solid they are and the deep hollow sound means not so well bonded.

[video=youtube;z0vV22L_cOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vV22L_cOw[/video]

T

Time's Ran Out

The higher the sound pitch the more solid they are and the deep hollow sound means not so well bonded.

Do you always get a blind bloke in to check your tiling?
My parents used to get their piano tuned this way.:lol:

U

user123

Wow, Dave, that is really useful, thanks!!

Reply to How to check for voids under tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen