Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How long to wait before sealing new grout? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

plugger2

How long to wait before sealing new grout? Cementuous colour grout, 2mm joints, nothing unusual. Sealer is solvent based, rather than water based, if that makes a difference. Area is a kitchen backsplash, and so I would like to seal sooner rather than later to avoid any fatty/oily residue from cooking getting onto the grout first.

Surprisingly, manufacturer's data sheets have nothing to say on the necessary curing time before sealing for new grout (I looked at both the data sheet for the sealer, and also for the grout itself.) Any general guidance?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the grout datasheet will quote a time you can put the room into full use (so shower in the shower area etc etc) so I'd guess that'd be the time to seal it.

Wait for a response from the lads though as I'm probably wrong there?!

P

plugger2

The only curing time mentioned in the data sheet for the grout itself was "wait 24 hours for cure before removing grout haze".

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hang on for the lads.

What you want to do make sure of is that all moisture from adhesive and grout has fully dried up, else you'll be sealing it in. Tiles can soak up moisture too, so you're waiting for those to dry out properly also.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
This is a really interesting question actually. I don't have a definative answer, nor am i certain with the answer i'm about to give:

I usually seal up my installs last thing. To ensure all dust and dirt has been removed and the room has been cleaned down.
Grout takes 24 hours to cure. Check data sheets and info of whatever grout you used to be sure. But, i think as a general rule of thumb 24 hours is correct. So i'd allow a minimum of 48 hours to be on the safe side.

I know it's not relevent in your case, but i would leave shower areas a lot longer. It's advisable not to use a shower for upto 2 weeks after grouting. So in this scenario i would seal 48 hours before the shower was ok to use.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody must have the rock hard facts somewhere.

I'd go with Ali for now though. Seems more logical than mine. :lol:

D

DHTiling

Aerosol sealers like LTP's etc can be used about 20 mins after washing down the grout.... but IMO if the grout is wet then adding sealer will soften it some what... so let it firm and then use the aerosol but if using other types then seek advice from sealer manufacturer.

Quote from LTP aerosol sealer directions..

Newly grouted surfaces should be left to cure for 20-30
minutes and should be clean and free from dust before application

Full instructions here>> http://ltp-online.co.uk/images/tds-Grout_Tile_Protector_Aerosol.pdf

P

plugger2

Thanks all -- the HG product Bri found the product info for looks very similar in spec to what I'm using, so waiting 72 hours (more in humid condtions) it is!

Actually, it's already been 72 hours, so I'll get onto it today...

P

plugger2

BTW, Swanman (I see you are in Oz too), the brand of grout sealer I'm using is Davco "Sanitized Tile & Grout Sealer". It's also the Davco brand "Sanitized Colorgrout" product that I'm sealing.

Thanks again for your input.

Reply to How long to wait before sealing new grout? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks