Search the forum,

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

You must have run out massively as i can see the edge of the Photo that only half the room is done. If it was me now I would try and concentrate on getting the floor flat, rather then level, if you can. If it's safe to do so, sand down the ridges carefully. I also wouldn't recommend another full pour over that area again as I don't think you improve it a great deal

M

mp3wizard

Yep the cost has certainly spiralled out of control, I accept that what I've saved on labour I've paid out on buying additional bags, to get an adequate coating I and think everyone massively underestimated the bags that I needed, (bought 5, then another 3, then another 5, then another 10, and another 10 turning up today) so 33 bags, I'd say if I chisled out the cable and had a lower starting point, I could of probably got away with 20-25 bags. so yep you were entirely right, should of got someone in to do the slc. I guesed I undercleaned the spiked roller, hence it not being able to spin properly.

The bifolds are fully operational as they open outwards, from inside it'll look ok, from outside it'll look ok, but If I have the doors open and am looking into the house i'll be able to see a raised floor level, maybe a decorative tile on the side, once I've removed the foam strip.

I fully anticipated a bit of a backlash from how the SLC has gone and was reluctant to upload, but the thread will hopefully help people in the future to avoid some of the mistakes I've made.

The main thing for me is just getting it level now to tile on, so hopefully it will be by end of play tomorrow.

T

Time's Ran Out

Listen the only reason we have put the comments on is because that's what the forum is about. A few comments have been unhelpful but as it's panning out some of the early replies are proven correct. As you've made it clear you were always going to do it yourself, the thread progresses and hopefully further posts will prove helpful to you. We are only on 21 pages and 345 replies so it's certainly an epic which I have no doubt will provide an insight into the issues which you have faced and how you've overcome adversity.
Keep posting, keep reading and keep going.

M

mp3wizard

thanks, so looking ahead, hopefully I might lay a tile this year, would you say that I should have full sized tiles visible on entering the rooms with cuts on the left behind the wall (probably a sofa ontop) or would you have the cuts on entering room with then rows of full size tiles going along.

Untitled.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id work from your bifolds, grout line from the centre of the bifold or full tile centred to the bifold, which ever works best .
Centre your main room and work from there

F

Flintstone

I agree with widler, that's the width, the full tile does look good when entering the toom, if it works nice elsewhere too, it may also be nice having symmetrical cuts in the kitchen area assuming that's as it appears on the diagram

M

mp3wizard

ok thanks, is it possible to use an orbital sander to smooth out the ridges rather than a angle grinder? there is quite a thick covering so I'm confident I wouldn't get anywhere near the wires...

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen