Search the forum,

Discuss Hot Water Under Floor Heating On A Sand Cement Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Leatherface

Guys - to do the job properly - first the screed should be allowed to dry out naturally - dependant upon conditions. Once dry the underfloor heating should be switched on and gradually brought up to maximum operating temperature - . Leave on once max temp has been reached for a couple of days , then allow to cool down prior to tiling. The reason for switching the heating on first is to allow for any initial expansion and cracking of the screed due to the heat.
Once tiles have been fixed again leave heating off for a couple of weeks, then again heating should be switched on and gradually brought up to maximum temp again.
Sounds a drawn out process, but a safe one. This is what I always advise and have never had any tiles crack or lift.

W

White Room

If I was laying screed on under floor heating, It be would ready mixed with fibres mixed in for strength and leave to cure, never seen covering over screed, but 60mm have even layed 75mm,and your'll need more than a couple weeks. No heating until screed has cured notch up slowly, otherwise cracking will happen. They say concrete reaches its maximum strength after 30 years

L

Leatherface

Cheers Dave - will try to be as helpful as I can, where I can. Fair play ti IM Tiles for asking - have seen a few jobs done where tilers have not asked and carried on regardless with disasterous and costly results

D

DHTiling

And it will still happen....but hopefully we can show some the errors of there ways so to speak......keep it up mate...

L

Leatherface

As far as I know the advice is allow one day per mm of screed for drying out again dependant upon conditions. Please correct me if I am wrong

D

DHTiling

its about that..but the average screed is 30 days or so..but there are products that can be used to tile onto screeds as soon as they can be walked on..Like ditra mat.. it is a vapour equalising membrane and great for fastrack installations...and bal do a green-screed adhesive..........

W

White Room

As far as I know the advice is allow one day per mm of screed for drying out again dependant upon conditions. Please correct me if I am wrong

Same as, but no nobody wants to wait that long, with solid plastering you would have to wait 6 weeks, could'nt do that now:grin:

L

Leatherface

Yes I was using Ditra Matting on a job in Cheltenham last week - didn't know it was suitable for underfloor heating though ?
Bal Green Screed adhesive is extortionate in price.
Also if you are able to have an input into the screeding process, which is usually unlikely, some manufacturers do a Fasttrack screed that can be tiled onto in a week or so - Mapei are one such supplier

Reply to Hot Water Under Floor Heating On A Sand Cement Screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen