Currently reading:
Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall!

Discuss Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lily Swizzle

That looks like great stuff whitebeam but will probably prove a bit too expensive as I'm only doing the area around the bath and sink - about 5msq in total. Thanks for thinking of me though. I've probably done about 2msq so far - have been at it since 8am!! Packing in now for the night! Off to B&Q tomorrow to stock up on Primer, Adhesive & will look for some more sanding sheets for the sander. (Have been wearing a mask & had window open...). Thanks for your support!

L

Lily Swizzle

Hahaaaaaaa!!!!!! Just tried the heat gun - it's the way to go methinks!! Here's a pic of where I'm up to so far. Taking a break now - till tomorrow. See you then peeps. x

001.jpg

L

Lily Swizzle

Hi Phil. The house was built in 1907 so could probably be horse hair as you say. Have nearly got the paint off the walls but in some places underneath where the paint was removed appears to be a horrible brown coating of something (doesn't look like paint to me). (See pic). Do you think I should try and get this off as well? Or will I be ok painting it with the Mapei Plaster Primer I've got when I prime the rest of the wall.... (once I've plastered the big holes....). Thanks.

002.jpg

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Lily When you re tile try not to put the adhesive on so thick. To thick = tiles fall off. Tub adhesive is a good product if used correctly, even if its fix and grout made by Unibond.

I was trying to work out some comments from earlier "pros dont use tub adhesive" "that type is rubbish"

There must be 350 topps tiles, say 100 tile giants 30 or so tile depots, 500 tile independents and say another 100 distributor showrooms 300 BQ 150 Wickes etc (i could name many more) in the UK.

If each one only sold 30 tubs a week (most sell that a day) thats 46,000 tubs a week. 46,000 tubs is a minimum per week thats 800 pallets.

Is tub adhesive only being used by DIY people fixing tiles? I doubt it very much.

Im not saying tub adhesive is better than powder adhesive but if used correctly it will stick tiles to walls for many years.

Food for thought

D

DHTiling

Lily When you re tile try not to put the adhesive on so thick. To thick = tiles fall off. Tub adhesive is a good product if used correctly, even if its fix and grout made by Unibond.

I was trying to work out some comments from earlier "pros dont use tub adhesive" "that type is rubbish"

There must be 350 topps tiles, say 100 tile giants 30 or so tile depots, 500 tile independents and say another 100 distributor showrooms 300 BQ 150 Wickes etc (i could name many more) in the UK.

If each one only sold 30 tubs a week (most sell that a day) thats 46,000 tubs a week. 46,000 tubs is a minimum per week thats 800 pallets.

Is tub adhesive only being used by DIY people fixing tiles? I doubt it very much.

Im not saying tub adhesive is better than powder adhesive but if used correctly it will stick tiles to walls for many years.

Food for thought

I think we mean proper tilers use powdered adhesive.

This in turn speeds up the tiling process , as tubbed adhesive takes a lot longer to cure/dry with it being a dispersion adhesive and also bagged adhesive is not affected by moisture ingress if that occurs.

Tubbed adhesive is fine yes, but has its limits and tile size will determine its use, 300x300 being the max size.

And most tiles are larger than that now and staff at a majority of shops need to be educated in what should and should not be used.

I dare bet an awful lot of tubbed gear is sold for incorrect use.

L

Lily Swizzle

Haha CJ..... live cat, human head or horsehair, it's all been reburied behind some new plaster now so whatever it is it won't escape...or give me nightmares.... Quite enjoyed the plastering malarkey - for a first timer - made a bit too much though but at least I'm learning as I go along so will make a bit less next time.

And I've already bought my next lot of tile adhesive - A bagged one by Mapei - Single Part Super Flexible......

Here's where I'm up to so far: 3 pics before plastering:

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

1 piccie after plastering:

004.jpg

Just had a thought - do you think all that horrible brown stuff is old PVA from years ago? If so, will it still be active and will I need to remove it before I prime the walls with the Mapei primer? (Been reading your PVA/Primer threads and know to steer clear of PVA al all costs!!...) Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lily Swizzle

Thanks macten - it doesn't feel slimey when wet so fingers crossed it will be ok. I won't be priming until the plaster has hardened properly so that will give me time to prepare the sink area..... Primer says it's 'ready for use' but also says to 'consolidate dusty surfaces it can be diluted 1:1 with water'. I would class some of the wall as 'dusty' and some not, so presumably it will be ok for me to dilute it 1:1 with water and do the whole wall with the same application.......

D

Discount Tile Supplies

I think we mean proper tilers use powdered adhesive.

This in turn speeds up the tiling process , as tubbed adhesive takes a lot longer to cure/dry with it being a dispersion adhesive and also bagged adhesive is not affected by moisture ingress if that occurs.

Tubbed adhesive is fine yes, but has its limits and tile size will determine its use, 300x300 being the max size.

And most tiles are larger than that now and staff at a majority of shops need to be educated in what should and should not be used.

I dare bet an awful lot of tubbed gear is sold for incorrect use.

Dave

I disagree that only proper tilers only use powdered adhesive, sorry mate.

Granted powder adhesives may speed the time tilers can walk out of the door but whether it disperses this way or that way used incorrectly it will fail. Powdered (slow set sp) adhesive still take a minimum of 16hours to set before grouting.

I understand the education part that shop staff should know better but it all boils down to people not reading what it says on the back of the tub or bag. All adhesive companies have technical help lines but no one calls them.

3 mm bed for bucket adhesive and 2-6 mm for powder adhesive. But people slapp it on nice and thick like artex.

Most failed jobs are due to not reading instructions and poor prep work, which im sure you will agree with.

U can still fix 30x45 ceramic with bucket adhesive with no problems if you adhere to 6mm trowel 3mm bed. I know Bal adhesives say 30x30cm but they are the only ones who commit to a size and they will cover all angles to say its not their fault if there is a problem.

i tell all customers to use powdered adhesive but they cant be bothered to mix it up as its too "complicated" or "hard"!

Im sure we will have many continuations on this Dave.

T

The D

Food for thought

How many tubs are sold around the rest of the world m8 ?????????

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
I use more tubbed adhesive on walls than i do bagged and for the original posters tiles i would be using tubbed stuff,but i would have prepped the walls properly first.

Does all tubbed gear not have to pass british standards?then its suitable for the job it states on the bucket. For larger format tiles i agree you need to use bagged adhesive but regardless of drying times it probably takes as long putting up batons etc.

L

Lily Swizzle

Thanks Paul - no, I'm not tiling onto paint - that was the mistake I made in the first place and you lovely guys put me right so I've scraped it all off. And the second mistake I made was using unibond ready mixed stuff! I've now re-plastered a bit of the wall and intend using the Mapei Primer and Mapei Single Part Super Flexible Adhesive which I've already bought..... and I'm not taking it all back to the shop again now just cos some of you guys seem to be having a slight disagreement as to what is the best adhesive to use! Please don't confuse me any more!!

Reply to Help!!!! Tiles falling off wall! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.