Discuss help needed on the right course in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Arn Wheeler

yeah that's rite you are learning every day but you've gotta know the basics and more and do the jobs and then with that come experience.and tbh if that is your situation your just going to have to do a basic few weeks course and hope you get the work and then get contracts and mostly recommendations.personally all my work mostly comes from recommendations as people in the towns around my area only trust professional, reliable tradesman that will give a good price and do an absolutely spot on job.good luck to ya pal :thumbsup:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
so many narrow minded people about .

the courses are there to teach you the methods,and some of the skills that tilers use in there everyday job and as much other info in thats small space of time as possible....dont think any of them are saying that you will learn everything in 2 or 4 weeks but everyone has to start somewhere and they do give you a starting block.

many people use the courses......soldiers coming out the army is one would you rather they sat at home doing nothing and learning no new skills? kitchen fitters use the courses to add tiling to there skills,diyers use them to do home projects allsorts of people use them

not every guy/girl that goes in leaves and becomes a succesful tiler infact i would imagine it may be as low as 1 in ten stay long term as the reality as many have said is tough going,you will come up against different scenarios every day that you didnt face on the course and many wont cope with trying to find work,do the work,learn the work and out pricing jobs at night etc etc

the ones who are no good and do bad jobs will not last and are no threat to good quality tradesman long term imo,however some do come through and will learn but you get just as many bad apples who are apprentice trained believe that because i have dealt with them and see it more regularly than you would think. so its not all just course trained guys that are poor at there jobs

i started my business right at the beginning of the recession which was a nightmare,im still here and busier than ever yes i have made mistakes along the way but we all do and that was on the back of a 2 week course followed up by another half dozen courses and a constant search on this good site for theory to put into practice.

it can be done if you apply yourself and have the skills but it doesnt happen overnight

A

Arn Wheeler

there maybe narrow minded people about to you...but its fact kilty55...p.s theres no such thing or course as a kitchen fitter, its a carpenter/jioner that fits kitchens.i started my own buisness 2 year ago and like you say ive made a few mistakes especially when it comes to advertising i found that delivering 5000 flyers out didnt get me much response but on the other hand im in a magazine that goes to 98k houses which has kept the phone ringing with new customers. gotcha!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
what is fact arn ? are you referring to the courses as being a joke is that what you mean is fact.

just speaking from my own exprieence of the course route but the trainers at the course were knowledgable and also ran there own tiling and bathroom companies as well very succesful ones i may add,i had no issues on my course and had great back up from them as well once i was out there in the workplace,as i say i made some minor mistakes along the way but from what i learned on that course and the further ones i attended and the workrate i have put it in has worked for me,

not everyone has the chance to go to college or apprenticeships which are very thin on the ground these days as well,i have read that some courses are not that great so i guess choosing a reputable one is the correct way forward

i do agree a 2 week course and then expecting to go out there with no further involvement in training of any kind or no attempt to learn other parts of the trade would not be enough you constantly have to learn and further your own training to succeed imo

T

True Tiling

Hear hear Arn! You are the the REAL DEAL. When i'm old and burnt out, can you please re-do my bathroom sir? Keep it up.

T

True Tiling

I think that you have found a business opening in teaching RAPID tiling, which is all fair and square. BUT. What are YOUR qualifications and what do you offer in GOVERNMENT APPROVED QUALIFICATIONS for YOUR pupils? Please don't confuse a bendy-binder full of marketing rubbish with the natural stone grinding skills of a professional tiler. That would be delusion. Look deep into your conscious after your pupils have finshed their short course, and ask yourself one thing: Are they ready?

Reply to help needed on the right course in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay