Discuss help needed on the right course in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

rab glasgow

hi all im currently working as a labourer for a few years now and ive always admired tiling work so now im want to change to being a full time tiler where do i start i live in glasgow and need to know what the right course is that i have to do i am a complete novice and dont want to be paying for courses that are lets say not worth the paper they are wrote on any help would be appreciated thanks rab

M

Mike

there are training centres who sponsor the site, you can find them on the left of the page or do a search on here and you'll find many threads on the subject

R

rab glasgow

thanks for your information i also just spoke to the tiler training school by phone who advised me to only take the 2 week course but i still dont know if thats any good or if you earn a certificate or not might be a svq will need to find out more thanks though

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Rab
We are in the North East (NETT)

We get lots of people down from Scotland to train with us, they are quite a few tilers on this site that have successfully trainined with us and started of their own business.

If you look in the feedback section you will see that we have the most positive feedback out of all the training centres, your money will not be wasted with us, gaurenteed

If you need to find out more visit our website on www.learntotile.co.uk or ring Tracey on 0191 4274529

Best regards
Darren

B

Billyoh

Hi Rab I'm in the same boat as you I'm looking into a course but don't want to waste my money. Did you do a course if so where did you go and how was it and what you doing now? Hope to here back, cheers.
Billy.

T

True Tiling

Alright pal. Just make sure you get on a 2 year course and learn with an experienced tiler at the same time. Otherwise you'll be clueless when you walk into someones house and try to fix £800 worth of tiles in their house...

T

True Tiling

Rab, a 2 week course will not in any way prepare you for walking into somebodies house and tile their surfaces. These courses are simply money-making nonsense where you tile a uniform wall or floor. It's so far from real life situstyins. Believe me, it didn't dare attempt to tile a splash back for 1.5 years in someones house. Like yourself, I thought tiling was an easy trade option for self-employment. It ain't. At 32 years of age, I took a 2 year one-day course at Leeds College Of Building and gained an ICA Level 2 in Wall & Floor Tiling while working 4 days a week with an experienced tiler. At the very least, work with an experienced and respected tiler for a full year and do the mickey-mouse course.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
I guess the hundreds and hundreds of tilers on this forum that have trainined on a short course then started their business and produce excellent work a lot of which is in the forum gallary must all be micky mouse waste of timers then.
You obviously have never been on a good course so therefore it is just an opinion that you have in your head

S

samtiler

So can we learn enough in 2 weeks to go out in to the real world and do tiling jobs after a 2 weeks tiling course and if so is there anyone thats done it thanks

D

dave l and l

there is no way in the world you can expect to complete a two week course and be out doing domestic jobs. what happens when you hit problems or different tiles that you have not been shown how to fix properly,
a two week course can introduce you to it and give you the basics,
thats the same with these plastering courses you do over a weekend. people used to spend years getting taught trades that you can now learn in two weeks, something doesnt add up there

G

Gazzer

The courses will set you on the right track but I doubt you would be able to tackle any job as no 2 jobs are the same. 35 years on the job and I still learn all the time.

Reaction score
I guess the hundreds and hundreds of tilers on this forum that have trainined on a short course then started their business and produce excellent work a lot of which is in the forum gallary must all be micky mouse waste of timers then.
You obviously have never been on a good course so therefore it is just an opinion that you have in your head
Darren i think saying (hundreds and hundreds of tilers on this forum ) is stretching it a bit lol.................. a few is a better term.....

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
If there are thousands of members on here and a lot of them has come from short courses i would say that hundreds would be the right number, not just a few, The nature of this topic has been argued many times before and im sure will be many times again, nobody is saying that you will be a master tiler in two weeks but a good course will certainly teach you how to set out, fix tiles correctly, cut and shape, cover all background preparation, and adhesive selection, from there its down to how good you are naturally to pick the skills up, The comment on saying that i would not dare to tile a splash back after a year an a half is rediculous, you have had the wrong training if this is the case, we all make mistakes along the way but you learn from these and this can only be done out in the real world by yourself, how far wrong can you go with a splashback anyway, its one of the most easiest jobs to do in tiling, most people do their own tiling splashback with no tiling training or knowledge and still end up with a good job.

I have run the tiling program now for over 7 years and some people will never make a tiler as they are just not cut out for practical skills, but most can pick it up with enough skills to leave, take on some straight forward jobs, do a good job and build from there.
I agree that it is not an easy business to be in down to the fact that it isnt just tiling skills that you need, there is the marketing, sales and drive also needed to be successfull, you could be a great tiler but without these other elements you will fail.
Everyone has their own opinions mostly based on assuption, mine is based on fact as we have had the people in and trainined them, know what training knowledge they have received and tracked their progress. Granted there is a lot of people fail but there is also a lot of people that succeed and sustain a business. I would have thought the same numbers would apply to people that attended 1 day a week in a college at a snails pace, most of them drop out after about 6 weeks.

D

DHTiling

how far wrong can you go with a splashback anyway, its one of the most easiest jobs to do in tiling,

Now that i disagree with, it has various variables from ceramics to mosaics to stone... such slap dash comments really makes tiling a joke to some.

IMHO Tiling needs to be a licensed trade to do away with this.. about time tiling was recognised a highly skilled trade and not a skill picked up when you have spare time to do a short course.

Reply to help needed on the right course in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks