Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from County Durham in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jandk

Hope someone can give us some advise.
We have had our floor insulated with kingspan, then underfloor heating installed, then Gyvlon liquid screed and finally a recommended tiler come and do the finishing touches using porcelain polished tiles, but the finishing touches are dreadfull, we just do not know what to do.
To start with I told the tiler that we needed to have a non cement based adhesive because of the Gyvlon screed, but he ignored that, he did put a prima on so it may be ok, but the tiles are not level so there are between 2 and 3 mm steps all over between the tiles, he hasnt used the cross on the spaces so where 4 tiles meet they are not lining up in some places. We are talking about a large area of approx 110 sq mt, and we feel like the whole floor needs to be lifted and re done, but who does it and who pays for more adhesive and tiles. He has not been paid yet, he has had just over £770 for materials, but it will be a big cost to put the floor right. What should we do?

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome... have you voiced your concerns with your tiler..

p.s where in county durham are you, as i am in that county as well..

D

DHTiling

Not far from me then, i'm in aycliffe..

Can you post us some pics please, so we can see what you do..?

D

DHTiling

A few other questions as well..

1: how old is the gyvlon screed?

2: was the screed dry before tiling.?

3: was the heating commissioned before tiling.?

4 : was the screed sanded before priming.?

J

Jandk

Hello again, I have just gone to get some pics, I will try and post in a minute.
The answers to your other questions are:
1. The screed was laid on 2nd April 2012
2. We put a plastic bag over the screed for a day and there was no moisture under the bag which indicated the screed was dry
3. The heating was commisioned and used as instruction from the screed company, then turned off 2 weeks before tiling was started
4. The tiler said he scrapped the screed before tiling
Hope this helps, Ill go and try get these pics on now

D

DHTiling

The bag test in that conclusive really and just scraping it isn't sufficient.. but let's see what you do first..

Also do you have any idea on the brand of primer and adhesive used.?

J

Jandk

tiles 2.jpg tiles 3.jpg tiles 4.jpg tiles 1.jpg

All I know about the prima is that it is white, the flexible adhesive is from tilesporcelain.co.uk

D

DHTiling

Ok, i know what adhesive brand that is.. from the pics it does look poor, can you please post one from further back..

Have you spoken to your tiler about your concerns..?

J

Jandk

Yes, he just stands there and says "I dont know what to say"
I would need to go back to the property to get more pics and its pouring with rain, so ill have to go later.
By the way thanks for your help.

D

DHTiling

Ok, if your not living there then leave it for now.. as i know it is raining lol.. but if you like i can call out and have a look for you as you are only a few mins from me..

Not good when customers are unhappy with quality like that..

J

Jandk

Ok, if your not living there then leave it for now.. as i know it is raining lol.. but if you like i can have a look for you as you are only a few mins from me..

Not good when customers are unhappy with quality like that..

Thats very kind, is there a way I can contact you so I dont have to put my personal details on here.

D

DHTiling

Thats very kind, is there a way I can contact you so I dont have to put my personal details on here.

Click my website details below and give me a ring on Monday... i will then call and give you some free advice ... and ways to rectify your issue.

Dave.

Reply to Hello from County Durham in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen