Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from County Durham in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jandk

Hope someone can give us some advise.
We have had our floor insulated with kingspan, then underfloor heating installed, then Gyvlon liquid screed and finally a recommended tiler come and do the finishing touches using porcelain polished tiles, but the finishing touches are dreadfull, we just do not know what to do.
To start with I told the tiler that we needed to have a non cement based adhesive because of the Gyvlon screed, but he ignored that, he did put a prima on so it may be ok, but the tiles are not level so there are between 2 and 3 mm steps all over between the tiles, he hasnt used the cross on the spaces so where 4 tiles meet they are not lining up in some places. We are talking about a large area of approx 110 sq mt, and we feel like the whole floor needs to be lifted and re done, but who does it and who pays for more adhesive and tiles. He has not been paid yet, he has had just over £770 for materials, but it will be a big cost to put the floor right. What should we do?

J

Jandk

Hello again, I have just gone to get some pics, I will try and post in a minute.
The answers to your other questions are:
1. The screed was laid on 2nd April 2012
2. We put a plastic bag over the screed for a day and there was no moisture under the bag which indicated the screed was dry
3. The heating was commisioned and used as instruction from the screed company, then turned off 2 weeks before tiling was started
4. The tiler said he scrapped the screed before tiling
Hope this helps, Ill go and try get these pics on now

J

Jandk

tiles 2.jpg tiles 3.jpg tiles 4.jpg tiles 1.jpg

All I know about the prima is that it is white, the flexible adhesive is from tilesporcelain.co.uk

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I wish I had come to this site before appointing this other tiler, I feel very lucky that I have people local to me that can give me advise.

I am not local mate..... Nearly three hours away down in The lincolnshire Fens. It's just that I am doing a trade day on Thursday next week in Newcastle so am in your area. It would need to be in the morning as the trade day starts at two.

Do you want to make it a joint visit Dave. I can meet you there if you like. Might even spin you a cup of coffee and a cookie if you got time. One of you give me a call on Monday and let me know 07545932723.

G

Gazzer

I have a question that you may or may not like to answer. You say the tiler came recommended...Who by ? Surely not a tile store or someone in the trade!

Rest assured though that if Dave and Alan come along you will have among the best info in the country.

Sadly I dont hold much hope for a quick remedy in this situation . If the quality seen in the photos is all over the floor then surely its a start again situation.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
All of the above info is spot on. If you allow the tiler to rectify just 1 tile that is fitted incorrectly, then it will cause the one that is next to it to have the same problem. In effect you are just moving the problem round, it has a knock on effect so the only answer is to remove the whole lot from what I can see from the pics.

Dave & Alan will give you an honest and truthful opinion.

Reply to Hello from County Durham in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.