Discuss Hardiebacker instead of plasterboard???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bluevin123

Hi all,

Have got a 30m2 bathroom walls and floor to tile, anyway I
Started chipping away at the existing tiles, and pretty much took all the walls down as well just leaving the studwork.

The customer says he will put up plasterboard to which I agreed but after some serious thought I suggested he put up 12mm hardiebacker board up...They can take up to 45kg2m whereas plasterboard can only take 32kg2m.

The tiles are 600x300 copper honed slate tiles which are 12mm thick.
It works out about 30kgm2 in weight without adhesive and grout.

Do we just screw the hardie to the studwork every 12 inches and make sure it is stable or is there anything else we should consider doing?
Hope to get them up tomorrow with a view to starting next week.

Do you think this is the safest option?

Thanks.
Vinnie.
:thumbsup:

G

Gazebo

Hi Vinnie

I think you have to screw the hardibacker every 200mm on each support and then all the joints taped and jointed. stagger the joints if poss, and noggins behind all joints.
Hope this helps

p.s. there are dedicated hardibacker screws that you should use.(non corrosive)

Gary

G

Gazebo

Thanks Jay.
Can you clarify what you mean by using stab(plasterboard adhesive) for studs on a stud wall, or do you mean dot n dab with plasterboard adhesive then when dry screw fixings into dabs.

Cheers
Gary

J

jay

hi stab is a product we use to stick plasterboard to studs not sure what its called over there sticks like s--- to a blanket and anything else it lands on :8:

G

Gazzer

Thanks Jay.
Can you clarify what you mean by using stab(plasterboard adhesive) for studs on a stud wall, or do you mean dot n dab with plasterboard adhesive then when dry screw fixings into dabs.

Cheers
Gary

Pink grip i feel would be the same type of product.
Everbuild Product Range - Everbuild

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazebo

So are you saying pink grip should be put on the timber studs before you screw hardibacker to them.????

G

Gazzer

PINKGRIP DRY FIX is a revolutionary new type of fast curing, adhesive foam that has been specially developed for the rapid installation of Plasterboard, Insulation Boards and other sheet materials such as Roof Decking and Floorboards. PINKGRIP DRY FIX provides significant labour saving and convenience benefits when compared to traditional dry wall adhesives. It will bond to most common building substrates; can be applied horizontally or vertically to the board, wall or battens/beams. The foam expands very minimally on application but enough to fill any gaps on uneven surfaces.

PINKGRIP DRY FIX can only be applied using an Everbuild Dry Fix Applicator Gun.

G

Gazebo

Have you used this product on timber stud walls yet.?

Surely its just as easy to screw to timber studs.

I can see it might be usefull if you dont want to use the dot n dab technique for overboarding solid walls.

Anyone used this product.??

G

Gazebo

I have just watched the Everbuild pinkgrip dry fix video and yes you can stick plasterboard unto timber stud fixings without screwing..

Ready to plaster skim in 1 hour also. not sure if it would be any good for really uneven walls but might be worth a go 1 day.

Cheers Sir Ramic

B

bluevin123

Cheers Guys, I managed to put all 21 boards up in the end just by using screws and some extra noggings using about 15-20 screws in each,

bloody heavy, but hopefully worth it, at least I now know it should bear the weight of the tiles and addy and grout.Just got to tape the joins and cover with addy tomorrow.
Thanks.
Vinnie.

S

Simonez

Partition wall is warped badly my builder recommends we take down existing skimmed plasterboard and replace with osb board to bring out from warped joists and then use a hardie backer board on top to give a flat wall for tiling as going to be using 300x900 ceramic tiles which are 22kg metre square. This maybe ott but best way any thoughts welcomed thanks

Reply to Hardiebacker instead of plasterboard???? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks