Search the forum,

Discuss Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

We weren't gonna start phoning the boss refusing to tile we would have been without my wages!!.....DOH!!!!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Yes I think what your saying is the right thing to do to be totally sure of waterproofing there buddy......I have tanked many bathrooms but also not tanked many with no probs.......what about all the contract jobs you must have done tiling shower rooms directly onto plaster over the years when tanking wasn't specified by builders......done it for many tiling contractors with no problems........but I agree tanking defo the way to go - ( better to be safe than sorry )

P

p4ulo

what about all the contract jobs you must have done tiling shower rooms directly onto plaster over the years when tanking wasn't specified by builders......
Never done any that I haven't tanked.....I've had to fix several jobs where tbh it wasn't failure due to tanking ( flexing shower tray, cracked grout, missing sealant) so I always insist on it and get it paid for every time.....That being said, I'm not a big trader so never work on new-builds / for builders....!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Fair play to you Paulo, totally see what your saying.......I may start following your methods on more bathrooms.....if client is happy to pay for it.......good advice bud

G

gooty

thanksfor your replies.

didnt want to tank due to possibility of weight issues once i decide on the tiles, plus the cost as most tanking kits seem to be not large enough to cover the area.

is everbuild aqueseal any good. its only £43 for 7.5m2?

O

One Day

Hi Impish.......

Do you tank, wedi or Kerdi every shower area you tile then mate?.....
I do mate. it's all domestic work and normally top end stuff so the cost is easily lost. if you've not already guessed, I've a personal hatred of cement board. Particularly hb. Mainly after ripping out plenty of stinking wet mouldy wet rooms all with hb which hadn't broken down but had allowed water to do it's thing to everything that wasn't hb.

F

Flintstone

Tanking kits are about £50 and cover enough to do a shower enclosure or above a bath. So maybe £100 supplied and fitted? I have tiled for years with only tanking wet rooms, but these days i do suggest tanking to customers and explain it all to them, then they have the choice. Depends on the job, if it's a cheap bottom end job, there probably not gonna go for it but any job to a decent standard people tend to go for it. Trying to convince a builder to go with it is a different story!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Fair comment mate, totally see where your coming from if you,ve had those past experiences ....so for all bath walls with a shower/ wet rooms what are you using mostly for waterproofing and what are paying for it?......

F

Flintstone

I do mate. it's all domestic work and normally top end stuff so the cost is easily lost. if you've not already guessed, I've a personal hatred of cement board. Particularly hb. Mainly after ripping out plenty of stinking wet mouldy wet rooms all with hb which hadn't broken down but had allowed water to do it's thing to everything that wasn't hb.

What do you class as the ideal product to board the walls in a shower area, and the floor

Reply to Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen