Discuss Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gooty

the bath has a 18mm ply covered in 6mm hardibacker behind the taps, concrete rendered wall/window by one of its long sides and a shower screen along the other.

as the shower will be spraying away from the hardibacker wall, is there any point in tanking?

W

White Room

I would just to isolate the ply, hardie is water resistant but not waterproof...also a person/persons will be standing in the bath to shower and water will bounce off the body onto the wall areas.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Is this just a bathroom with a standard shower, I wouldn't tank it, I only tank in walk in showers really unless a client/ builder specifies this then I'll do it.........if your using Hardi backer boards, mastic sealing everywhere before and after tiling and allowing all material to cure for at least a week what's the need to tank??......

M

MW Smith Ceramics

You could install some wedi board to the rendered window wall before tiling if your really concerned.......is this the wall your concerned about??

O

One Day

Is this just a bathroom with a standard shower, I wouldn't tank it, I only tank in walk in showers really unless a client/ builder specifies this then I'll do it.........if your using Hardi backer boards, mastic sealing everywhere before and after tiling and allowing all material to cure for at least a week what's the need to tank??......

Hardibacker isn't waterproof! If it gets wet (depending on shower usage and tiling etc) then it transfers water to the ply it's fastened to. Then all hell can break loose.

Cement boards have NO place in wet areas when there are products like Wedi and Kerdi out there.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi Impish.......

Do you tank, wedi or Kerdi every shower area you tile then mate?.....

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Belt and braces on all jobs. All wet areas get tanked, have removed to many bathrooms tiled walls that look fine but have water ingress why risk it for and extra hours work most customers will pay for the tanking when all is explained.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

I have tiled onto many backer boards over many years in bathrooms and never had a come back...........

image.png

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
No problems with hardie backer boards but it was tanking the other walls I would tank that as well especially as it is on to ply

M

MW Smith Ceramics

:grimacing:I do use wedi also, just prepared a bathroom in wedi before tiling as client insisted, so am I the only fixer that's done this then......am I on my own here ?.......I've done many hotels - travelodges , premier inns where we have tiles directly onto plasterboard in the shower areas with no tanking or mastic sealing prior to fixing, now that's asking for trouble I admit but all us lads were doing the same in all rooms for years.............this was the prep spec before tilin

M

MW Smith Ceramics

We weren't gonna start phoning the boss refusing to tile we would have been without my wages!!.....DOH!!!!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Yes I think what your saying is the right thing to do to be totally sure of waterproofing there buddy......I have tanked many bathrooms but also not tanked many with no probs.......what about all the contract jobs you must have done tiling shower rooms directly onto plaster over the years when tanking wasn't specified by builders......done it for many tiling contractors with no problems........but I agree tanking defo the way to go - ( better to be safe than sorry )

P

p4ulo

what about all the contract jobs you must have done tiling shower rooms directly onto plaster over the years when tanking wasn't specified by builders......
Never done any that I haven't tanked.....I've had to fix several jobs where tbh it wasn't failure due to tanking ( flexing shower tray, cracked grout, missing sealant) so I always insist on it and get it paid for every time.....That being said, I'm not a big trader so never work on new-builds / for builders....!

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Fair play to you Paulo, totally see what your saying.......I may start following your methods on more bathrooms.....if client is happy to pay for it.......good advice bud

Reply to Hardibacker Tanking Question in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay