Discuss Which tile backing board, tanking and adhesive for large format tile in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Peeps, about to rip out my bath and put a new one in with a shower. I've done a few bathrooms already but because I'm using 60x60 tiles (28.5kg per m2 Polished ) I just need some advice on what board and adhesive I can use. The tap wall is stud and the side is block. The block is currently dot and dab but I'll be removing that as it's not that straight and level and probably won't take the tiles, so I will most likely battening off the block.

I have a few options of backing board from wickes
  • STS 10mm Professional Tile Backing Board
  • STS Construction Board
  • Knauf AQUAPANEL® Board
  • Knauf Moisture Panel Tapered Edge
In the past I've used Hardibacker and Knauf Moisture Panel, but that was with smaller lighter tiles and used mapei mapegum wps

I'm currently thinking the STS 10mm Professional Tile Backing Board, they say its water resistant and can take the the tile weight, but I am in half the mind of tanking the joins and over the screws for safe mind. Which then makes me think, if I'm doing that I might as well just use STS construction board and tank that instead and I'd have less joins. What are people thoughts?

Also would Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set Flexible Tile Adhesive be good enough for the 60x60 tiles?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I'd use hardiebacker myself and tank it. Others use fully waterproof boards like Wedi, but I'm just used to hardiebacker and prefer how strong it feels. Good luck with your project

Reaction score
i thought you would not need to worry about the joints or the screws/washers on the STS board since you are meant to be using their own brand MEGA STRENGTH expanding foam type adhesive on joints ?

Reply to Which tile backing board, tanking and adhesive for large format tile in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks