Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Hard water staining (?) on slate shower floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

nickguk

Hi everyone, I have been looking here for an answer relating to this problem, but haven't found anything specific so have started this new thread......

About 2 years ago I did a large wetroom floor in riven slate for a client. I sealed it with Lithofin before and after grouting.

Now, the dry area of the room is still gorgeous, but the shower area has large patches of what I can only assume are deposits from water that stands in a few places due to the rough surface of the slate. The deposit is creamy-white in colour and as the rest of the room is still perfect, it makes it not look very good!

Interestingly, the client has actually tried baby oil on one of the tiles that was lightly marked in the semi-wet area and it has come up perfect and stayed that way. I noticed also that the water is still beading quite nicely on the tiles in the wet area so it looks like the sealer has done its job.

What i really need to know now is how to safely remove the water deposits and what I then need to do (and the client keep doing?) after that to keep it stain free. The marking is on the surface as it comes off if you scratch a small area.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!

H

Highlander

It could be efflorescence coming through from the adhesive remember the water will get into the slate eventualy and throught the grout wetting the adhesive makes no difference what sealer you used and it can also do with the type of slate ie how dense etc.

There are lots of after market products that can help. If you could post some pictures it might help give a better solution to your problem.

Gary

Reply to Hard water staining (?) on slate shower floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks